Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by rjtoday <rj...@shaw.ca> on 2013/10/25 15:45:43 UTC

Big mistake

The big mistake is mine.  I made a big mistake "upgrading" from an earlier version of Writer to the one in your version 3.4.

I have a doc file that's 5300 KB.  I could load it in the older version (now wiped out by the "upgrade") in 15 or 20 seconds.  With the "improved" 3.4 version?  The first time I tried, it took 8 minutes to load.  (Oh, pardon me, I mean "import."  I guess you people aren't into mere "loading" anymore.)  The second time I tried to load the file -- sorry, I mean "import" -- it took 23 minutes.  Yes, that's right -- 23 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!  What's next, 70 minutes??????

You know how long it took Microsoft Word to load the same file?  7 seconds.  Yes, that's right -- 7 SECONDS!!!!!!!!!

Guess who's never using OpenOffice ever again?  I'll give you a hint:  someone who thinks it's complete garbage.

Why didn't I used your forums to seek a solution?  Because looking through 26,000 topics would have taken almost as long as loading -- sorry, I mean "importing" -- a file into your garbage Writer.

You can ignore this complaint if you want.  It's the same thing I'll be doing to OpenOffice.

Re: Big mistake

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM, rjtoday <rj...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> The big mistake is mine.  I made a big mistake "upgrading" from an earlier version of Writer to the one in your version 3.4.
>
> I have a doc file that's 5300 KB.  I could load it in the older version (now wiped out by the "upgrade") in 15 or 20 seconds.  With the "improved" 3.4 version?  The first time I tried, it took 8 minutes to load.  (Oh, pardon me, I mean "import."  I guess you people aren't into mere "loading" anymore.)  The second time I tried to load the file -- sorry, I mean "import" -- it took 23 minutes.  Yes, that's right -- 23 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!  What's next, 70 minutes??????

Is there a special reason why you "upgraded" to version 3.4, a release
that is over a year old?  Our most-recent version is 4.0.1. Since
performance improvement were made in versions 3.4.1, 4.0.0 and 4.0.1,
you are missing all of these improvements if you are running version
3.4.

You can always download the most recent version of Apache OpenOffice
at:  http://www.openoffice.org/download

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Big mistake

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
Just to expand a little on Rob's reply. We do take complaints seriously but
you will appreciate that as a volunteer organisation we don't always have
the resources to respond immediately to every individual problem. Our aim
is to provide useful free office software to as many people who can benefit
as possible. The variations in your load times make me think that you could
be short of RAM in your computer or that there is some other similar set up
issue. If all things are the same the load times should be too, even if
they are slower than you would like. Try unloading any applications that is
not essential before attempting to open the document. 5.3 MB is not that
unusually large -  just opened a 142 MB odt document in about 15 seconds.
If you are saving in Microsoft formats it will take longer because the
software will have to do a conversion from one format to the other but it
should not be taking that long. If you want to e-mail me your document I'll
try opening it and see if the result is the same on my computer. If it
isn't it suggests something related to the way your system is set up. If it
is very slow it is probably something to do with the file and we can then
look at that to see what is causing the problem and if it is a bug put it
in the queue to fix it.

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications <https://theingots.org/community/faq#7.0>

Headline points in the 2014 and 2015 school league tables

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

The Learning Machine Limited, Reg Office, Unit 4D Gagarin, Lichfield
Road Industrial Estate, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7GN. Reg No:
05560797, Registered in England and Wales.