Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Rajat Gupta <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/01 09:40:56 UTC

Re: Zeppelin Interpreter end

We have implemented auto shutdown of spark application by adding an idle
timeout setting directly in spark. We set the value of this setting in the
zeppelin interpreter UI page and default it to 60 mins. For this fix we
also added an auto lazy restart of interpreter in zeppelin if interpreter
has shutdown because of inactivity. If you want I can send you patches for
this both for spark and zeppelin. I did not submit the patch in zeppelin
for this earlier because this makes sense only if spark has idle timeout in
open source.

Dynamic scaling of spark applications works fine on zeppelin with
appropriate spark settings on interpreter page. Zeppelin just maintains
handle to a spark context and that spark context is free to do anything
afaik. We at Qubole are using it actively.

Rajat

Posted by Rajat Gupta <ra...@gmail.com>.
No we have not submitted it back to spark community. I can send the patches
for both spark and zeppelin. If it seems interesting enough then I can
start a PR for zeppelin part at least. I will try to do this by weekend if
it sounds interesting enough.

Rajat