Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Richard Michael <rm...@edgeofthenet.org> on 2007/07/17 16:19:35 UTC

File system damage: ref to non-existent node

Hello list,

I'm using svn 1.3.2 (r19776).

After experiencing file system damage, I can no longer commit to certain
portions of my repo (although some commits do work).  I receive this
error:

svn: Reference to non-existent node 'a1.0.r211/5172' in filesystem
'/home/username/repos/my_repo/db'

"svnadmin verify my_repo" reports:

svnadmin: No such revision 208

And indeed, my_repo/db/revs/ is missing 208 (it's also missing 211 and
212).

There is no backup of the repo, so I cannot restore the missing revision
dirs.

Is there any way to recover from this problem?  This isn't
production/mission critical, but if it was, what would I do? :)

Apologies if I've missing something in the docs related to this..

Thanks,
Richard

Re: File system damage: ref to non-existent node

Posted by Richard Michael <rm...@edgeofthenet.org>.
> >Is there any way to recover from this problem?  This isn't
> >production/mission critical, but if it was, what would I do? :)
>
> Not to be too flippant, but if this were mission critical, you would
> have backups.

Indeed.  But if the tape drive ate the backup tape and the offsite
location flooded? :)

More seriously and traditional wisdom aside, it's useful to know what
constitutes a total failure for a piece of software and under what
circumstances a backup *is* required.  Hence, stress testing.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 17, 2007, at 11:19, Richard Michael wrote:

> I'm using svn 1.3.2 (r19776).
>
> After experiencing file system damage, I can no longer commit to
> certain
> portions of my repo (although some commits do work).  I receive this
> error:
>
> svn: Reference to non-existent node 'a1.0.r211/5172' in filesystem
> '/home/username/repos/my_repo/db'
>
> "svnadmin verify my_repo" reports:
>
> svnadmin: No such revision 208
>
> And indeed, my_repo/db/revs/ is missing 208 (it's also missing 211 and
> 212).
>
> There is no backup of the repo, so I cannot restore the missing
> revision
> dirs.
>
> Is there any way to recover from this problem?  This isn't
> production/mission critical, but if it was, what would I do? :)

Not to be too flippant, but if this were mission critical, you would
have backups.

I'm not sure what you do now to recover; I'll let someone else answer
that.