Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/01 18:52:50 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Hi,

Following the Incubator graduation process [1], I'd like to ask the
PDFBox community to vote on its readiness to become an Apache top
level project (TLP). In addition to measuring consensus on the project
meeting the graduation criteria [2], this vote is about the board
resolution draft included below. Do we have consensus on the proposed
scope, initial members and VP? So far we have no other candidates than
Andreas for the VP post, so I've simply entered his name in the
resolution instead of calling another vote on who should be the first
PMC chair.

This vote is only the first step in the graduation process. Assuming
this vote passes, I will call the Incubator PMC to vote on PDFBox
graduation and then the ASF board will make the final decision based
on the community and IPMC recommendations.

So, please vote on whether you think PDFBox is ready to graduate as
described in the board resolution draft below. Anyone in the PDFBox
community is welcome to cast a vote, but only votes from the PDFBox
PPMC members are binding. The vote is open for the next 72 hours.

    [ ] +1 Graduate PDFBox
    [ ] -1 Do not graduate yet, because...

My vote is +1.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements

BR,

Jukka Zitting

   X. Establish the Apache PDFBox Project

      open-source software related to reading, creating and
      manipulating PDF documents for distribution at no charge to
      the public.

      Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache PDFBox Project",
      Foundation; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Apache PDFBox Project be and hereby is
      related to reading, creating and manipulating PDF documents
      and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache PDFBox" be
      and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
      serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
      of the Apache PDFBox Project, and to have primary responsibility
      for management of the projects within the scope of
      responsibility of the Apache PDFBox Project; and be it further

      Apache PDFBox Project:

        * Andreas Lehmkühler        <le...@apache.org>
        * Ben Litchfield            <bl...@apache.org>
        * Brian Carrier             <ca...@apache.org>
        * Daniel Wilson             <da...@apache.org>
        * Jeremias Märki            <je...@apache.org>
        * Jukka Zitting             <ju...@apache.org>
        * Philipp Koch              <pk...@apache.org>

      NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Andreas Lehmkühler
      be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache PDFBox, to
      serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
      death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
      or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the initial Apache PDFBox PMC be and hereby is
      tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
      encourage open development and increased participation in the
      Apache PDFBox Project; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Apache PDFBox Project be and hereby
      Incubator PDFBox podling; and be it further

      Incubator PDFBox podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
      Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Niall

Posted by Ben Litchfield <be...@benlitchfield.com>.
+1 Graduate PDFBox

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess this has enough votes to pass, but seems a shame that two
> members of the proposed PMC haven't voted. Perhaps someone should ping
> Ben Litchfield & Brian Carrier to see if they want to stay involved.

Ben actually voted already on the first day of the vote but only in a
private message. He resent the vote shortly after your message.

I haven't seen Brian around in the past few months, but he was quite
active earlier this year, so I'd keep him on board for now even if
he's looking at other things for a while.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Brian Carrier <ca...@digital-evidence.org>.
On Oct 5, 2009, at 6:41 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> I guess this has enough votes to pass, but seems a shame that two
> members of the proposed PMC haven't voted. Perhaps someone should ping
> Ben Litchfield & Brian Carrier to see if they want to stay involved.

Hello,

I'm still here. I haven't had time lately to work on PDFBox, but I
have been watching it and my todo list has a couple of lines to look
into the recent submissions of paragraph spacing and such (which
extend on the spacing issues that I previously worked on).

thanks,
brian

Re: [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for voting! Since we already have the resolution drafted, I'll
> proceed directly to the IPMC vote.

The IPMC vote has also passed, see [1].

Andreas, as the future PMC chair, can you send the proposed resolution
to the ASF board? See [2] for the instructions.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/vdjcgie4jyba7zkl
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#top-level-board-proposal

BR,

Jukka Zitting

[RESULT] [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, please vote on whether you think PDFBox is ready to graduate as
> described in the board resolution draft below. Anyone in the PDFBox
> community is welcome to cast a vote, but only votes from the PDFBox
> PPMC members are binding. The vote is open for the next 72 hours.

The vote passes as follows (* marks a PPMC member, ** an IPMC member):

    +1 Adam Nichols
    +1 Andreas Lehmkühler *
    +1 Ben Litchfield *
    +1 Daniel Wilson *
    +1 Jeremias Maerki **
    +1 Jukka Zitting **
    +1 Mel Martinez
    +1 Niall Pemberton **
    +1 Philipp Koch *

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> So, please vote on whether you think PDFBox is ready to graduate as
> described in the board resolution draft below. Anyone in the PDFBox
> community is welcome to cast a vote, but only votes from the PDFBox
> PPMC members are binding. The vote is open for the next 72 hours.

	[X] +1 Graduate PDFBox

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

RE: [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by "Martinez, Mel" <m....@ll.mit.edu>.
    [X] +1 Graduate PDFBox

Re: [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
     [X] +1 Graduate PDFBox

On 01.10.2009 18:52:50 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> [...]
>
>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Andreas Lehmkühler
>       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache PDFBox, to
>       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>       Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache PDFBox PMC be and hereby is
>       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>       encourage open development and increased participation in the
>       Apache PDFBox Project; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the Apache PDFBox Project be and hereby
>       is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>       Incubator PDFBox podling; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>       Incubator PDFBox podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [VOTE] Graduate PDFBox to an Apache TLP

Posted by Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com>.
 [x] +1 Graduate PDFBox

regards,
philipp