Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com> on 2001/10/29 06:48:36 UTC

[Vote] XML Database Project Name

Since we're not going to use the name dbXML going forward, the proposed
XML database project needs a new name. As part of contributing the dbXML
code to the project, the dbXML community wanted to propose the new name to
get things started. We came up with a bunch of names last week and our
general mailing list voted to choose the name Xindice. The pronunciation
we came up with is, zen-dee-chay. The word indice is Italian and Spanish
for index.

I'd like to propose that the name Xindice be adopted for the new XML
database project.

Initial committers coming from the dbXML project will be:

Tom Bradford bradford@dbxml.org
Kimbro Staken kstaken@xmldatabases.org

Kimbro Staken
The dbXML Project
http://www.dbxml.org

Re: [Vote] XML Database Project Name

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: [Vote] XML Database Project Name

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Martin Stricker wrote:
> BTW Xindice looks ridiculous and seems to be unpronauncable...

I have the same opinion but I'm staying out of it because
I don't see myself participating much in that project. So
whatever the real developers want to name it, is fine.

But... I will suggest alternative names. :)

How about "Xindy"? Pronounced like "Cindy", of course. I
think it's cool to give a project a female name and it
sort of suggests "XML index" when I look at it.

And in the area of names, a lot of Chinese names start
with an 'X'. For example, I once had a Chinese student
with a cool name: "Xintian". I had to have her pronounce
it for me the first time I saw it written but I think I
remember it sounding something like "sin-tea-in" or
perhaps "shin-tea-in". (Any Chinese or Chinese speaking
developers out there that can correct me?)

I'm only suggesting these if you want to stick with
something with an 'X' for XML. But there's nothing that
says it *has* to have a token 'X' in the name...

Re: [Vote] XML Database Project Name

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Kimbro Staken wrote:
> > I'd like to propose that the name Xindice be adopted for the new XML
> > database project.
>
> Since it's a database, how about calling it "XLOB"? (That's
> pronounced as "slob".) :)

If it's implemented in Java XLOB is the name to go! Slow like a slob...
;-D

But since this will be the Apache XML database it should be called AXDB,
of course, pronounced Axe DB: The axe in the database woods! ;-D

BTW Xindice looks ridiculous and seems to be unpronauncable...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Re: [Vote] XML Database Project Name

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.