Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Manepalli, Kalyan" <KA...@orbitz.com> on 2009/06/18 01:53:14 UTC

FilterCache issue

Hi,
            I am seeing an issue with the filtercache setting on my solr app which is causing slower faceting.

Here is the configuration.
<filterCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="512" initialSize="512" autowarmCount="256"/>

Statistics:
stats: lookups : 979692
hits : 6904
hitratio : 0.00
inserts : 973531
evictions : 972978
size : 512
warmupTime : 1479
cumulative_lookups : 61660491
cumulative_hits : 516057
cumulative_hitratio : 0.00
cumulative_inserts : 61170111
cumulative_evictions : 61153787

As we can see the cache hit ratio is almost zero. How do I improve the filter cache.
Also wanted to know what does the size mean. Is it number of documents or the memory size (kb/mb)

Any suggestions in this regard will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Kalyan Manepalli

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Michael Ludwig <ml...@as-guides.com>.
Manepalli, Kalyan schrieb:
> I am seeing an issue with the filtercache setting on my solr app
> which is causing slower faceting.
>
> Here is the configuration.
> <filterCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="512" initialSize="512"
>   autowarmCount="256"/>

> hitratio : 0.00
> inserts : 973531
> evictions : 972978
> size : 512

> cumulative_hitratio : 0.00
> cumulative_inserts : 61170111
> cumulative_evictions : 61153787
>
> As we can see the cache hit ratio is almost zero. How do I improve the
> filter cache.

Maybe these pages add some ideas to the mix:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FilterQueryGuidance

Michael Ludwig

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe he is not using the FieldCache method?

It occurs to me that this might be nice info to add to debugging info
(the exact method used + perhaps some other info).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

RE: FilterCache issue

Posted by "Manepalli, Kalyan" <KA...@orbitz.com>.
Got that. Since I am still using Solr 1.3, the defaults should work fine, field cache for single value and enum for multi-valued fields.

Thanks,
Kalyan Manepalli

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Its the facet.method param:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#head-7574cb658563f6de3ad54cd99a793cd73d593caa

--
- Mark

RE: FilterCache issue

Posted by "Manepalli, Kalyan" <KA...@orbitz.com>.
Mark,

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

RE: FilterCache issue

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

RE: FilterCache issue

Posted by "Manepalli, Kalyan" <KA...@orbitz.com>.
I am faceting on the single values only. I ran load test against solr app and found that under increased load the faceting just gets slower and slower. That is why I wanted to investigate filtercache and any other features to tweak the performance.
As suggested by Mark in the earlier email, I increased the size of filtercache and the performance has improved. I need to further test to see the impact on other areas.

Thanks,
Kalyan Manepalli

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: FilterCache issue

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thats why I asked about multi-valued terms. If hes not using the enum
faceting method (which only makes sense with fewer uniques), and the
fields are not multi-valued, than it is using the FieldCache method.
Which of course does use the filterCache, and works best when the
filterCache size is the size of all the unique terms in all the fields
you are faceting on.

Perhaps his machine can't handle that, but certainly he would benefit
heavily from the cache. And if you had tons of uniques and a small
cache, you would see exactly what he is seeing. Probably best to see how
it goes before seeing if you have to optimize based on garbage
collection (and I beleive that he could run in to resource issues, whats
why I said give it a shot :) ). He may just need more resources than he
can get, but I'm fairly sure he needs the resources. Unless its
multivalued fields and its using the UninvertedField - not sure how the
filterCache plays into that.

- Mark

Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2009, at 10:32 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>
>> Right, so if you are on 1.3 or early 1.4 dev, with so many uniques,
>> you should be using the FieldCache method of faceting. The RAM
>> depends on the number of documents and number of uniques terms mostly.
>>
>> With 1.4 you may be using an UninvertedField though (are your facet
>> fields multivalued or tokenized?), and I know much less about that.
>>
>> I'd try a cache size of 10,000 and see how it goes.
>
> I'm not so sure about that, my guess is your going to get hammered on
> garbage collection when you do commits with something that big.
>
> Let's take a step back.  These are LRU cache's, the fact that you have
> a zero hit ratio does not mean caching isn't working or that you
> necessarily need a bigger cache.  It suggests to me that your
> application is not the type that can benefit from caching of
> filters.   My understanding is that in certain cases with the new 1.4
> faceting, it ends up using the filterCache as well.  I believe the
> admin will give stats on the number of big terms, etc.
>
> Perhaps you can give a bit more detail about your application and why
> you think that cache ratio is causing slower faceting.
>
> Have you actually done some profiling/timings on the faceting?
>

>> - Mark
>>
>> Manepalli, Kalyan wrote:
>>> Got that, if its number of cache entries, definitely its very low. I
>>> have around 10,000 unique items to facet on. Does the RAM size
>>> depend on Document size.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kalyan Manepalli

- Mark