Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Williams <cc...@ntlworld.com> on 2003/09/22 18:48:28 UTC

OT: sloppy English

A lot of posts to this mailing list seem to use really lazy English: "I"
consistently in lowercase, missing punctuation, missing capital letters at
the start of sentences, etc.

Two things:
1. A sentence which goes something like "must i do x or can i do y" is hard
to read.
2. Writing like this makes you sound like a moron.

We're all educated people or otherwise we wouldn't be computer programmers.
So let's maintain some reasonable standards.

Chris Williams.

Re: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
If people read the Preface here (and its links):
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/tomcatuser.html

... and follow it ...

Then I'm a happy camper. ;)

-Tim

Re: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> i disaggree, unforuntealy i don't have time to perfom complete spel checks
or
> fix grammar on all words. i try to be as coherent as possible but since i
do
> this for free, you get what your pay for. please killfile me if it is that
> bothersome.
>
> I don't mind bad grammar and spelling. I detest those which don't read the
> docs, the faq and search the archives before asking a question.
>
> I'll take bad grammar over bad questions any day.

Agreed, but the main point was in:

- capital letters at the beginning of the sentence
- capital "I" for first person
- at least an attempt at punctuating sentences

This IS a part of syntax of, perhaps not all, langauages of our users, but
these rules should be common to most users visiting this list. I do
acknowlege that there are languages that use different rules (japanese,
chinese, arabic,...), but all users writing to this list are using character
sets that are compliant with these rules.

So, all that Christian asked for was to *re-read the message before posting*
(a Goot Idea (tm)) and to make it more readable. That helps a lot to anyone
who's reading the message.

Perhaps his wording was a bit offensive, but he is right. Sometimes I
couldn't understand what the poster was asking. I'll survive bad punctuation
and capitalization, but it takes extratime for me and leaves me with a
feeling that the poster was in a hurry or sloppy.

Nix.

P.S. Please feel free to point out any and all mistakes I've made. I like
being correct and don't mind being corrected.

Re: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

RE: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jw...@starprecision.com>.
Tim,
	Very well said...and understandable too.  ;)

RE: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jw...@starprecision.com>.
Tim,

Re: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: OT: sloppy English

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

RE: sloppy English

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jw...@starprecision.com>.
Chris,
	I agree and disagree.  It is always good to do thing proper but
who are we to expect things from the end users?  No one here has a right
to enforce or even demand such a change.  If you notice, I always have
proper syntax and punctuation as well but I do not demand it of others.
If it's hard to read, approach it on a case-by-case basis but most of
the time, it's very understandable, no matter what u say.  ;)  Laters,
Jeremy

RE: sloppy English