Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Dmitriy Morozov <in...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/03 09:39:06 UTC

Re: Arrow examples

Hi Wes,

Thanks for raising the ticket. So it seems like Spark 2.0 will not have
support for Arrow.
Also does SPARK-13534 cover Arrow serialization for Spark's JAVA API, or do
we need to raise a separate ticket for that?

As of now, I only have a high-level understanding of Arrow and it's data
structure but I'm willing to dive deeper and provide any help I can, mainly
in testing, Java serializer or additional examples. Let me know how I can
help.

Thanks,
Dima

--
Kind regards,
Dima

Re: Arrow examples

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@cloudera.com>.
Serializing Spark DataFrame in either Java or Scala would suffice for the
use case, but there may be follow-on JIRAs to make the Arrow adapters more
accessible. pandas only needs access to flat schemas for now, for example,
so nested Spark SQL schemas could be handled in follow-up work.

Note: this is somewhat dependent on the separate thread around the metadata
specification -- ideally Spark SQL would be able to adapt its schema
metadata to a form that any Arrow consumer can use.

- Wes