Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Srinivas Kolla <sr...@altiscale.com> on 2015/08/16 12:39:36 UTC

Bigtop test framework documentation

Hi Team,

Where can i get bigtop test framework documentation?
Recently, i have started using bigtop test framework to automation the
hadoop test cases.
Though i could understand it at a high level, i want to learn it in a
detail way.
I could not find valuable resources from google search on bigtop.
In this regard, Can someone please help me to point to correct
documentation of Bigtop.

Regards,
Srinivas.

Re: Bigtop test framework documentation

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi this is great to hear.  There are layers to the testing framework.  Here is a summary for you. I'll post this in the docs or wiki if you folks think it's useful.

Bigtop Test Frameworks

First there is itest, a Java wrapper to the shell which allows you to test and verify output from commands easily by writing Java programs using its api  and asserting outputs.

Then there are two test frameworks which you can run. Smoke-tests is a pluggable gradle based testing component. You add groovy scripts to it and then run it, there are examples under the smoke tests directory.

Finally The test-artifacts can be compiled to jar files and distributed with a Hadoop distribution you build on top of bigtop.

We don't have comprehensive docs on these, in general they are being updated by developers.  However I like your idea to have an introduction to the whole framework.Why not open the code up and ask questions here in the meantime?

We want to merge test-artifacts with smoke-tests soon, but iirc haven't done so yet.

BigPetStore Integration Tests

Finally, after we realized that just isolated smoke tests were of limited use, we built the bigpetstore-mapreduce and bigpetstore-spark integration apps. Those both scale out to any arbitrary size, and use many ecosystem components (hive,pig,mahout) ,spark (mllib,sparksql).

Note that to run all of these understanding gradle and groovy is helpful in case you haven't use those tools and languages that is a great start.

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
try by removing the -o  (at least, remove it the first time you run
it)......

--
jay vyas

Re: Bigtop test framework documentation