Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James Smith <js...@sanger.ac.uk> on 2020/08/04 07:36:47 UTC

RE: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT]

Perl is a great solution for web development.

Others will disagree but the best way I still believe is using mod_perl - but only if you use it's full power - and you probably need a special sort of mind set to use - but that can be said for any language.

From experience - it may be fractionally slower than small "standalone" apps that dancer etc are good at, but it is (a) much, much more stable {dancer etc does not cope well with either large requests or lots of small requests}, and (b) if you have a large code base and/or a large number of services then it generally uses much less compute power than the others {can easily handle multiple services on a single apache instance}

Where it really gains is the hooks into the apache process - being able to add functionality easily at any stage in the request process, from path translation, AAA stages, pre-processing, to post-processing and logging, and also to interact with other languages at any stage - e.g. can handle pre-processing & post-processing around a script written in another language (e.g. PHP, Java) or produced by another webserver integrated by mod_proxy.

It isn't really a framework though like dancer or mojolicious and thus has its own advantages and disadvantages.

You would to some extent have to roll your own code to produce the pages themselves although there are libraries out there to do lots of it.

We have an in house library whose embryonic stages were written over 20 years ago - and has now been stable for around 12-13 years and works strong...

James

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.
Making a wild guess here - most RDBMS won't like it if you make thousands
of queries per second across 500 tables every second. Can this be done -
yes but most setup's aren't tuned to be able to handle such a scenario.

If I was doing something like this I can imagine quite a few places which
would fall apart in my current code which would have nothing to do with
either mod_perl or forking/threading. Again I have absolutely no idea what
has been implemented by John so it is quite possible it is a mod_perl and
forking issue but that can not be generalized for everyone.

Posted by James Smith <js...@sanger.ac.uk>.
> (I forgot to say in my previous post that over 50% of the time used by my script is spent on the _one_ query out of 120 that writes a smallish session hash to disk)

The first rule of session hashes is don't use session hashes, but the 2nd rule of session hashes is don't write them to disk - that is really inefficient. Look at using something like MySQL, memcached, redis, ... to store them instead - whatever you do - just avoid writing to disk!

> We run 20 customers on a single box and our database has approximately
> 500 tables. We run hundreds or thousands of queries per second.

500 tables is a lot more than what I typically handle. I'm sure it complicates things.

But see this post by James Smith in a recent thread :

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mail-2Darchives.apache.org_mod-5Fmbox_perl-2Dmodperl_202008.mbox_ajax_-253Cef383804cf394c53b48258531891d12b-2540sanger.ac.uk-253E&d=DwIFAw&c=D7ByGjS34AllFgecYw0iC6Zq7qlm8uclZFI0SqQnqBo&r=oH2yp0ge1ecj4oDX0XM7vQ&m=wOEBUDMfU7L3Uq4Q7pzEIfQ0Qfh1jaa-dmtnINBi3sM&s=fztwZzN5yK5qT6hb4WlQYTaEBqRmSv7Pj7v_o6WmyfM&e=

Easier to read in this archive :

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mail-2Darchives.apache.org_mod-5Fmbox_perl-2Dmodperl_202008.mbox_browser&d=DwIFAw&c=D7ByGjS34AllFgecYw0iC6Zq7qlm8uclZFI0SqQnqBo&r=oH2yp0ge1ecj4oDX0XM7vQ&m=wOEBUDMfU7L3Uq4Q7pzEIfQ0Qfh1jaa-dmtnINBi3sM&s=3saqpwQfa8fOf9eiynEa-w3JsT-tenD-pyUc3vfFhwc&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__compta.libremen.com&d=DwIFAw&c=D7ByGjS34AllFgecYw0iC6Zq7qlm8uclZFI0SqQnqBo&r=oH2yp0ge1ecj4oDX0XM7vQ&m=wOEBUDMfU7L3Uq4Q7pzEIfQ0Qfh1jaa-dmtnINBi3sM&s=yvWfWmnBK99th1DSC5sQcjzdWwA6QZRGXpO2R5H1414&e=

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a classic use case for Kafka - your service should publish when
done and your clients should subscribe to their relevant topics. This is
not going to be scalable even with websockets.

Posted by John Dunlap <Jo...@lariat.co>.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*
*john@lariat.co <jo...@lariat.co>*

*Customer Service:*
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co

RE: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT]

Posted by James Smith <js...@sanger.ac.uk>.
There are not many applications which really benefit from multiple threads in web server environments unless you have very low load – as they are only efficient as they can use multiple cores, so you need stupidly speced machines to manage this load properly, and if you are using external resources can often be blocking anyway.

Yes mod_perl doesn’t do web-sockets – but usually that isn’t an issue unless you have the need to push when people update content and you want it immediately available. There are others issues to consider with web-sockets e.g. port usage to keep the connections open. If you don’t need that immediate response – polling can achieve the desired effect – and Apache can even tell the client how long you need to wait before you send another connection.

mod_perl is horribly inefficient because prefork is inefficient and because each request is single threaded. In addition to this, mod_perl also cannot provide websockets which are essential in a modern application.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 1:26 AM Vincent Veyron <vv...@wanadoo.fr>> wrote:

[You forgot to cc the list ]

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 23:16:03 -0500
John Dunlap <Jo...@lariat.co>> wrote:

> We run 20 customers on a single box and our database has approximately 500
> tables. We run hundreds or thousands of queries per second.

500 tables is a lot more than what I typically handle. I'm sure it complicates things.

But see this post by James Smith in a recent thread :

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/202008.mbox/ajax/%3Cef383804cf394c53b48258531891d12b%40sanger.ac.uk%3E [mail-archives.apache.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mail-2Darchives.apache.org_mod-5Fmbox_perl-2Dmodperl_202008.mbox_ajax_-253Cef383804cf394c53b48258531891d12b-2540sanger.ac.uk-253E&d=DwMFaQ&c=D7ByGjS34AllFgecYw0iC6Zq7qlm8uclZFI0SqQnqBo&r=oH2yp0ge1ecj4oDX0XM7vQ&m=d_ZhFPlvaXw1KbAmeExguXy1fSbpEKzIuAPZMOJ9h78&s=nK2GCkR9GuTuv3TffZBjRZgIDya7tetj5oHLLDBsn18&e=>

Easier to read in this archive :

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/202008.mbox/browser [mail-archives.apache.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mail-2Darchives.apache.org_mod-5Fmbox_perl-2Dmodperl_202008.mbox_browser&d=DwMFaQ&c=D7ByGjS34AllFgecYw0iC6Zq7qlm8uclZFI0SqQnqBo&r=oH2yp0ge1ecj4oDX0XM7vQ&m=d_ZhFPlvaXw1KbAmeExguXy1fSbpEKzIuAPZMOJ9h78&s=Om-DkyClcEdOiq5HBizz-ydRhOziZbAP-AL_sR0eXAE&e=>

[...]

john@lariat.co<ma...@lariat.co>

Customer Service:
877.268.6667
support@lariat.co<ma...@lariat.co>
[cid:image001.png@01D6D86F.18E6D9C0]

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.
Forking is not inefficient unless you work on Windows. Threads are more
complicated to code for - thread safe coding is a thing.

Agreed web sockets are lacking but they are not essential in all modern
application.

I think we have discussed this topic enough and nothing new is being shared
on the topic hence this will be the last reply on this conversation.

Posted by John Dunlap <Jo...@lariat.co>.

Posted by Vincent Veyron <vv...@wanadoo.fr>.
[You forgot to cc the list ]

Posted by Vincent Veyron <vv...@wanadoo.fr>.
[don't know why I'm seeing only parts of this thread, I did not get the original messages for some reason]

Hu? I'm hosting web apps on a lowly Kimsufi host (2 cores, 1,86GHz; 8 euros/month); each app makes dozens of database queries, the latest one makes 150 different queries in .05 seconds. I never see more than 0.15 load average with 10 users on line.

Granted, I have low traffic and small databases, but still.

(incidentally, I had a look at your home page, which took a good 5 seconds to load)

					Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

Posted by James Smith <js...@sanger.ac.uk>.
Didn’t see the earlier response – John if you are seeing 25% cpu utilization that indicates that something is wrong with architecture of the solution rather than the language.

It would suggest that you have bottlenecks elsewhere – network, memory, database, disk. We have seen that the sweet spot of well designed servers is somewhere between 4 and 8 CPUs and 8-16G RAM, after that the performance gain is not so good – not because of the language – but because of all the other constraints on the system - wanting to databases/disk/network etc. We have HPC compute clusters at work – and to really make use of the large CPU/memory machines (last time I checked it was around 200 cores and 1Tb RAM) not just the coding but the underlying algorithm has to suit parallelisation, and care has to be taken to avoid writing to disk at any point in the operations.

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.
Can you just shut up and unsubscribe from a Perl mailing list?

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Dunlap <Jo...@lariat.co>.

AW: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT]

Posted by Andreas Mock <an...@web.de>.
Hi all,

we also have a big code base whose starting point is more than two decades ago.
If you have developers who know their stuff and all the internal developed modules
and helpers you're good to go. BUT: We do have problems to get young, fresh
perl developers. Why? This language is simply unattractive to young people.

If I had to start a web application today on an empty field I wouldn't choose perl.

There is another point. When we started all logic was done in the backend.
Nowadays much is done in the browser itself with Javascript. You need this
Javascript knowhow in any case. And when you have it there is no big step
to using this in the backend too.

So, in my opinion there is a relevant difference between starting a project
or maintaining an (very) old one. Maintaining an old code base where you're
stuck to years of old code is not attractive to new developers in any case.

mod_perl? The opinions may vary. But we're trying to get rid of it. In the
old days mod_perl with apache was the one and only process doing
everything. Now it's common to have serveral tiers. In the front a
load balancer which probably also terminates SSL. Some lightweight
servers serving static stuff as fast as possible, and one or more servers which
act as application server. As soon as several stages of request processing
are not done in Apache (e.g. Rewriting, Dispatching, Logging) you only
use one stage of Apache to produce the content. And this can be done
with a native perl application server.

Don't understand me wrong. We program in Perl, we know Perl more or less,
we have a big code base in Perl. But I won't start a new project on an empty (!)
field with it. But our field is NOT empty because we have so many known own
libraries and modules for all the common cross application requirements that
it would last very long to build these in a different language.

At the end you need people to do it. And you have to see how much legacy
code base and knowledge is there.

Regards
Andreas

Posted by Ruben Safir <ru...@mrbrklyn.com>.
On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 10:32:39AM +1000, dcook@prosentient.com.au wrote:
> I don't really see the utility of this thread, since these are just circular
> arguments based primarily on opinion, and no one is going to convince
> someone else that their opinion is wrong.
>
> That said, I'll just point out one thing about the earlier comment "How many
> platforms can survive 30 years.  Mod_Perl/Apache."
>
> Mod_perl is 24 years old (http://perl.apache.org/about/history.html), Apache
> httpd is 25 years old (https://httpd.apache.org/ABOUT_APACHE.html), and Perl
> is roughly 32 years old (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl).
>
> At this point, no Mod_Perl/Apache platforms has survived 30 years. I have 1
> Mod_Perl/Apache platform left and it is about 9 years old, and its lifespan
> is currently based on inertia.

When one reads replies like this you tend to just /dev/null to sender
and shrug your shoulders.

Thanks for working out the exact math for us.  Your points are
excellent.

RE: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT]

Posted by dc...@prosentient.com.au.
I don't really see the utility of this thread, since these are just circular
arguments based primarily on opinion, and no one is going to convince
someone else that their opinion is wrong.

That said, I'll just point out one thing about the earlier comment "How many
platforms can survive 30 years.  Mod_Perl/Apache."

Mod_perl is 24 years old (http://perl.apache.org/about/history.html), Apache
httpd is 25 years old (https://httpd.apache.org/ABOUT_APACHE.html), and Perl
is roughly 32 years old (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl).

At this point, no Mod_Perl/Apache platforms has survived 30 years. I have 1
Mod_Perl/Apache platform left and it is about 9 years old, and its lifespan
is currently based on inertia. At some point, it will be replaced by a new
system written in a programming language for which the system owner (ie not
me) can shop around, unless the dollar cost of doing that is greater than
letting inertia continue.

One other comment. The worst performing parts of my Mod_perl/Apache
application have nothing to do with Mod_perl or Apache. They have to do with
poor quality code and poor database schema design completed by other
developers nearly a decade ago. I could run the same application using
Starman and Nginx, and it would still have the exact same problems. You can
take any tool and craft a poor solution. Likewise, you can take many tools
and craft a great solution.

I have no complaints about Mod_perl/Apache per se, but - like Perl - they're
aging. I already use Starman with other projects, and at some point I'll
replace mod_perl with it, as I know it better and I know more people who
know it better. I'm also using a Catalyst framework, so it's pretty much
plug and play.

Note also that it's easier to get a specific version of Starman than it is
to get a specific version of Mod_perl/Apache in a particular OS.

Anyway, with the exception of those aforementioned dates, that's just my
opinion.

David Cook

Posted by Ruben Safir <ru...@mrbrklyn.com>.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat/perl)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by paul trader <fl...@igolinux.com>.
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 07:36, James Smith opined:

JS:Others will disagree but the best way I still believe is using mod_perl
JS:- but only if you use it's full power - and you probably need a special
JS:sort of mind set to use - but that can be said for any language.

i will second this motion.  mod_perls ability to hook into any step of the
process apache uses to serve up a page makes it easy to design a web
solution that can be tailored for any solution.

regards, paul

--
Paul Trader.....ptrader@igolinux.com
IGO Linux Solutions

Re: suggestions for perl as web development language [EXT]

Posted by Jan Kasprzak <ka...@fi.muni.cz>.
	Hello,

:
: Others will disagree but the best way I still believe is using mod_perl
: - but only if you use it's full power - and you probably need a special
: sort of mind set to use - but that can be said for any language.

	Agreed. We have a codebase spanning 20 years, 2.3M LoC (without
comments). Some of it even pre-dates mod_perl (written originally for CGI.pm),
but mostly it uses code based on RegistryCooker as its underlying
infrastructure.

	I just don't see a clean path towards HTTP/3 QUIC multi-session
connections in mod_perl. Sure, a reverse proxy will do, but it might be
better to do it natively. Do you know about any development of Apache+mod_perl
related to HTTP/2 or HTTP/3?

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/                         GPG: 4096R/A45477D5 |