Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/03/20 08:16:24 UTC

Re: Match+Gas = Slide status (was: newbie question about slide future)

Jeremy Kuhnash wrote:
> As the guy that lit the fire, I'll just summarize. I will admit that I
> do not follow this project very closely but that is _an effect of it not
> being well maintainted_.  Historically, open source project success can
> be measured by just this one artifact. Also, as far as Apache Jakarta
> projects go, almost all other teams recognize what makes a project have
> continued momentum - continual releases, iterative development, strong
> design and communication to the (volunteer) effort that surrounds a
> project. And it is easy to support this statement: almost everyone on
> the user list has had a need for more documentation or communication,
> better clarification from developers/implementers of features, _a stable
> release schedule with smaller than 'x years' timeframes_, and acceptance
> of patches to follow or contribute to JSRs (oh the patch doesnt follow
> what the project has in mind? Where are the design docs so that I can
> write one that does? They dont exist? Am I supposed to be clairvoyant?)
> . Finally, all Jakarta projects, if they adopt an upcoming standard,
> should realize the torch they have been handed - to implement, with
> dilligence and timely releases - the thing that they have volunteered -
> for not fulfilling a duty is far worse than never signing up in the
> first place.
>
>    I think that open source ideals are important and very much based on
> community, but it is easy to see by the trailing sentence (sum: 'if you
> wanna buy a decent version of the unreadable, insurmountable bees nest
> that we have created, please buy it from me') that the wrong folks are
> in charge here. Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not recall
> _ever_ seeing a post like that on the
> Tomcat/Struts/ORO/POI/Turbine/Jetspeed lists. And yes, I have given
> freely, both in time and code, to other Jakarta projects.
>
>    Considering that both Struts and Turbine live under the same roof, I
> would certainly say something is in order to either get Slide on a
> release schedule (if the CVS works well today why isnt this being
> released as a beta? why not create a branch and do bug fixes on the
> things that are implemented ?? these arguments make no sense.) or to
> branch it off and forget about the latent current fork. Besides many
> different projects have been branched in success when the goals were not
> unified - Samba/Samba-TNG, Emacs/Xemacs, etc etc.

To do a release, we need a release manager to propose/build/upload the
release(s). I was the RM for Slide 1.0.x, but I don't have time to work
on Slide right now.

So since you apparently want to volunteer. However, you'll need to
become a committer first to be able to do something. So you'll need to
submit stuff and prove you really want to be involved.

Remy