Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya <sk...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/19 13:48:32 UTC

Re: unique Source IP Address

Run a distributed jmeter test. But even then u will need as many jmeter servers as ur users.
Not sure what wud be the best way to emulate your use case.
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Posted by chaitanya bhatt <bh...@gmail.com>.
The document clearly states the "OR" word. So, adding more NICs is just one
approach. IPaliasing is another feasibly approach. In windows if you
navigate to Network Connections>Select your network>TCP/IP>Advanced. You are
provided with advanced options to enter aliases to your primary IP. As your
network administrator to disabled DHCP and provide you with N number of IP
addresses. Now, set any one of the IP as primary address for the injector
machine and enter the rest as aliases for the primary IP in the advanced
settings screen. Now Jmeter can use any of the IP addresses present in the
alias list while firing requests.

-Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://www.performancecompetence.com

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
I dont think what you want to do(IP spoofing) is possible in java(and hence
JMeter) -- You'd have to write this yourself and use jmeter only for
threading, or you'd need to buy a commercial product that supports spoofing

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
IP aliasing doesnt need multiple NIC's  as far as I know, but i dont know
much more than that..

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by chaitanya bhatt <bh...@gmail.com>.
Sudip,

The actual purpose of uique IP addresse is to determine the performance of
load balancers. A stickly load balancer would always send requests to a
single server node in a clustered server setup.The source IPs have to be
spoofed in order to emulate real world scenario.

RE: unique Source IP Address

Posted by "Vikas Gupta (vikgupt2)" <vi...@cisco.com>.
Guys, its working (crudely) using IP Aliases approach. I used HTTPRequestHTTPClient and used the Source IP address field. I have to create Multiple thread group and for every thread group, I used the source IP intended. There are number of issues with this approach.

- I have to create thread group for every user
- Scalability issues.

This will work for me as of now because I have <50 user load to be created. In the meantime, I will also explore Grinder as suggested.

The reason for mapping Ip to session is
- We want to identify the unique 'siteid' from where user is loggin in. i.e on loading the http://<ip>/app the form asks for username/password. So along with username/password, The browser should also send the 'siteid' but this information shouldn't be filled by user. We used Gears initially, but that caused deployment problems. So Ip address to 'siteid' mapping is created.
This has its limitations.. DHCP, Dynamic NAT, PAT etc.

Vikas Gupta
Software/QA Lead
Cisco Health Solutions
vikgupt2@cisco.com (epage)

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya <sk...@gmail.com>.
Vikas,

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by chaitanya bhatt <bh...@gmail.com>.

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by Kirk <ki...@gmail.com>.

RE: unique Source IP Address

[...]

Posted by sv...@icarinae.com.
Well.. you can use create string to ip function ( in beanshell or java )
and convert timestamp to ip address. you can use systemtime in millisecond
and use only the last 7-8 digits. if you rampup each user in every
millisecond or two you will get unique address for each user..

Re: unique Source IP Address

Posted by Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya <sk...@gmail.com>.
Ya, I agree.

RE: unique Source IP Address