Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/02/21 16:03:03 UTC

Proposal to slightly change the naming convention for releases

Hi all,

I would like to propose a small change to the way we name releases, specifically the first release in a branch.

The current naming convention is the following:

a) the name of the release branch is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM where YY.MM is the year and month of when the branch was created
b) all releases coming out from a branch have the major release number equal to the branch's YY.MM
c) the first release in the branch doesn't have a minor release number; the name of the first release is then: apache-ofbiz-YY.MM
d) all subsequent releases (second, third etc...) have a sequential 2-digits minor release number (01, 02,...): the second release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.01, the third release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.02 etc...

I would like to change the rules to be:

a) the name of the release branch is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM where YY.MM is the year and month of when the branch was created
b) all releases coming out from a branch have a major release number equal to the branch's YY.MM and a minor release number (sequential 2-digits): the first release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.01, the second release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.02 etc...

We could start the adoption of the new naming convention with the upcoming (April?) first release in the 11.04 branch: instead of "apache-ofbiz-11.04" it will be "apache-ofbiz-11.04.01".

What do you think?

Jacopo

Re: Proposal to slightly change the naming convention for releases

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Thanks and Regards
Anil Patel
HotWax Media Inc

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to propose a small change to the way we name releases, specifically the first release in a branch.
>
> The current naming convention is the following:
>
> a) the name of the release branch is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM where YY.MM is the year and month of when the branch was created
> b) all releases coming out from a branch have the major release number equal to the branch's YY.MM
> c) the first release in the branch doesn't have a minor release number; the name of the first release is then: apache-ofbiz-YY.MM
> d) all subsequent releases (second, third etc...) have a sequential 2-digits minor release number (01, 02,...): the second release
> is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.01, the third release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.02 etc...
>
> I would like to change the rules to be:
>
> a) the name of the release branch is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM where YY.MM is the year and month of when the branch was created
> b) all releases coming out from a branch have a major release number equal to the branch's YY.MM and a minor release number
> (sequential 2-digits): the first release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.01, the second release is apache-ofbiz-YY.MM.02 etc...
>
> We could start the adoption of the new naming convention with the upcoming (April?) first release in the 11.04 branch: instead of
> "apache-ofbiz-11.04" it will be "apache-ofbiz-11.04.01".
>
> What do you think?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Proposal to slightly change the naming convention for releases

Posted by ki...@objectedge.com.
Hello Jacopo,

Seems like a minor change. Go for it. Anyway people don't like .0
releases.

Regards,
Kiran Gawde

Senior Software Architect
Object Edge Inc
(925) 943 5558 x108

"There are two kind of people: Those who do the work and those who take
the credit. Try to be in the first group because there is less competition
there."
"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams
is more powerful than one with all the facts".