Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matthew Daubenspeck <ma...@oddprocess.org> on 2002/03/26 15:46:28 UTC

Apache HostnameLookups

I'm having some serious performance issues with Apache (Apache/1.3.23
(Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2) when using HostnameLookups on. The
performance is so amazingly slow it is almost unusable. When I do disable
it, the system seems to work perfectly. I use a bunch of PHP scripts that
use gethostbyaddr() and they stall forever as well, and never return any
hostnames.

I checked and double-checked my DNS settings and everything seems to be
working perfectly. I can ping and resolve hostnames just fine from the
command-line, as well as use dig and host to resolve names as well, so in
my mind I am assuming I messed something up with Apache somewhere. Does
anyone have any ideas, I am pulling my hair out!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Apache HostnameLookups

Posted by Matthew Daubenspeck <ma...@oddprocess.org>.
>You are right, it isn't a PHP issues and I apologize, I should have said it
>isn't an Apache issue either.  If is was "amazingly fast" before, even with
>Lookups enabled, I would say that something else is now broken -- very
>likely with the DNS or a secondary.

I tried using the local BIND DNS as well as my ISP provided servers, both
with the same result...

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!

Re: Apache HostnameLookups

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
On 3/26/02 10:00 AM, "Matthew Daubenspeck" <ma...@oddprocess.org> wrote:

> It is slow even when not using PHP to resolve IP's, whenever
> HostnameLookups is enabled. It used to be blazingly fast, then just stopped...

You are right, it isn't a PHP issues and I apologize, I should have said it
isn't an Apache issue either.  If is was "amazingly fast" before, even with
Lookups enabled, I would say that something else is now broken -- very
likely with the DNS or a secondary.

HTH;
-Sx-  :]

Re: Apache HostnameLookups