Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Randall Hauch <rh...@apache.org> on 2020/07/14 20:57:30 UTC

[VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.6.0. This is a
major release that includes many new features, including:

* TLSv1.3 has been enabled by default for Java 11 or newer.
* Smooth scaling out of Kafka Streams applications
* Kafka Streams support for emit on change
* New metrics for better operational insight
* Kafka Connect can automatically create topics for source connectors
* Improved error reporting options for sink connectors in Kafka Connect
* New Filter and conditional SMTs in Kafka Connect
* The default value for the `client.dns.lookup` configuration is
now `use_all_dns_ips`
* Upgrade Zookeeper to 3.5.8

This release also includes a few other features, 76 improvements, and 165
bug fixes.

Release notes for the 2.6.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~rhauch/kafka-2.6.0-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday, July 20, 9am PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~rhauch/kafka-2.6.0-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~rhauch/kafka-2.6.0-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.6 branch) is the 2.6.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.6.0-rc0

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/26/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/26/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.6 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.6-jdk8/80/
System tests: (link to follow)

Thanks,
Randall Hauch

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.
All, I've pushed a new release candidate (RC1) and announced via the
"[VOTE] 2.6.0 RC1" discussion thread.

Randall

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Randall,

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Levani.

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Levani Kokhreidze <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Randall,

Not sure if it’s intentional but, documentation for Kafka Streams 2.6.0 also contains “Streams API changes in 2.7.0” https://kafka.apache.org/26/documentation/streams/upgrade-guide <https://kafka.apache.org/26/documentation/streams/upgrade-guide>

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.6.0 RC0

Posted by Gary Russell <gr...@vmware.com>.
Docs link [1] is broken.

[1] https://kafka.apache.org/26/documentation.html

________________________________

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https:%2F%2Fhome.apache.org%2F~rhauch%2Fkafka-2.6.0-rc0%2FRELEASE_NOTES.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605796741&amp;sdata=gSEE7%2Ba1OO2NqprMHoFHTfscddV72A4YoVm8ffacpKc%3D&amp;reserved=0

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday, July 20, 9am PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkafka.apache.org%2FKEYS&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605796741&amp;sdata=2qDdViKaLs4YmUPj2o%2F1Bjaf1RHiPVrEgH4gECVIKvY%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https:%2F%2Fhome.apache.org%2F~rhauch%2Fkafka-2.6.0-rc0%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=23HdLoF2fTT7ZIgJRkeblg90nwX2R795uL5giMlpNU4%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Frepository.apache.org%2Fcontent%2Fgroups%2Fstaging%2Forg%2Fapache%2Fkafka%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=OKKF1SuDPi%2BN9HFAesbeJFLDl6kipjVPbMjm%2F3oA%2BZY%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Javadoc:
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https:%2F%2Fhome.apache.org%2F~rhauch%2Fkafka-2.6.0-rc0%2Fjavadoc%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=owaSLXhSs4NHVYN51u29Q3HD0YI4iD08qwb4iT2quvQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.6 branch) is the 2.6.0 tag:
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fkafka%2Freleases%2Ftag%2F2.6.0-rc0&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=jcVDQHyPPQNGSMGyhHfVN4U2MQdG5jpcYKdv4U%2F1BYI%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Documentation:
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkafka.apache.org%2F26%2Fdocumentation.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=MV%2FqchaN2pgFyI1i1FU0xmlIxurpdRryz%2BXoA1EZh2c%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Protocol:
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkafka.apache.org%2F26%2Fprotocol.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=FGKpvYFIJe220%2FNOseaU%2FFCrnA2JW%2BHt1tbS3vA%2Bofs%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.6 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbuilds.apache.org%2Fjob%2Fkafka-2.6-jdk8%2F80%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cgrussell%40vmware.com%7C79493bcbf8764a2439cb08d828384f64%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637303569605806736&amp;sdata=nPWHTi1%2Byh4LqQ4Za39TNv%2BrMneLAWRj3fUgKpq1nO4%3D&amp;reserved=0
System tests: (link to follow)

Thanks,
Randall Hauch