Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/07 05:27:42 UTC

[Lucene.Net] [VOTE] New Directory Layout for Project

All,

We'd like to update the project directory structure/layout.

See below for a proposed layout. I've also uploaded an example which
you can navigate at:

http://people.apache.org/~thoward/Lucene.Net/directory-structure-example

NOTE: This will not build!! I just put things in the appropriate
places without updating the solution/project files to show how we
might lay things out. Also, I included NUnit as an example of a
third-party dependency that we might include in the repository under
'lib'. We of course will *not* be distributing NUnit in this manner,
due to licensing restrictions.

Ok, disclaimer over...

Please vote on this layout, or suggest a modification or alternative layout.

Voting will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Use this directory structure exactly as described, or with a
minor modification
[ ] 0 Use a different structure (described in response)
[ ] -1 Do not change the directory structure at all

Text description of directory schema:

Build Files:

\build
\build\VS2008
\build\VS2010

Source Projects:

\src
\src\contrib
\src\core
\src\demo
\src\contrib\<project-name>
\src\core\<project-name>
\src\demo\<project-name>

Test Projects:

\test
\test\contrib
\test\core
\test\demo
\test\contrib\<project-name>
\test\core\<project-name>
\test\demo\<project-name>

Product Documentation:

\doc
\doc\contrib
\doc\core
\doc\demo
\doc\contrib\<project-name>
\doc\core\<project-name>
\doc\demo\<project-name>

Third-Party Dependencies:

\lib
\lib\<vendor>
\lib\<vendor>\<product>

Binary Builds:

\bin
\bin\contrib
\bin\core
\bin\demo
\bin\contrib\<project-name>
\bin\core\<project-name>
\bin\demo\<project-name>

Re: [Lucene.Net] [VOTE] New Directory Layout for Project

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
I agree that the names are redundant. I definitely want to drop the
".Net" from the project names.

At some point I'd like to revise the namespaces in the same manner,
removing the superfluous '.Net' elements: Apache.Lucene.Core.xxx,
Apache.Lucene.Contrib.xxx, Apache.Lucene.Demo.xxx etc...

I also agree that there's no need for additional sub-directories under
the projects folders...

I've updated the example directory structure under contrib to remove
the test projects I accidentally left in there, remove the extra depth
of foldering, and remove the '.Net' designation from the folders.
Project files would be updated as well (but I didn't do that).

Michael: Regarding build scripts, those could go in ~/build directly,
or maybe make a subdir there ~/build/scripts ...

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.
We already have a release for .NET 2.0 (Lucene.Net 2.9.2).  So, jumping to
4.0 shouldn't  be a problem for Lucene,Net community.
DIGY

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.
could you give a shout to the list when that gets stabilized?

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.
+1.  No pending commits.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.