Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by JC DANJON <jc...@libertysurf.fr> on 2004/11/09 16:06:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Access denied for httpd to / directory

Hi,

It's my first mail the that user' mailing list ...

I've set up a few month ago a basic web server onto a Fedora distribution (2.4.20 series kernel / apache 2.0.49).
The httpd runs under the "apache" identity, and the html pages are hosted by /var/www/html.
That has worked fine until yesterday. Now, I can no longer access any pages: the httpd server is complaning about a denied access to "/".
The httpd daemon got an identity that should let them access through the /var/www/html directory.

Has anybody any idea about the ways I should "explore" the reach the light about that fading-to-black situation ?

Thansk,
JC.

************************ ADSL ILLIMITE TISCALI + TELEPHONE GRATUIT ************************
Surfez 40 fois plus vite pour 30EUR/mois seulement !  Et téléphonez partout en France gratuitement,
vers les postes fixes (hors numéros spéciaux). Tarifs très avantageux vers les mobiles et l'international !
Pour profiter de cette offre exceptionnelle, cliquez ici : http://register.tiscali.fr/adsl  (voir conditions sur le site)

Re: [users@httpd] Access denied for httpd to / directory

Posted by Eric Ladner <er...@gmail.com>.
ps -eaf | grep httpd  # note the owner of the process.

Check the permissions on each directory in the chain to the html
folder.  One of them is too restrictive.

ls -ld /var /var/www /var/www/html

As a quick "get you going":  chmod o+rx /var /var/www /var/www/html

This should quickly correct any read problem of the tree.

Also, check the apache error and access logs to see if there are any
interesting messages if the above doesn't work.

Eric

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
Hi,
"The httpd daemon got an identity that should let them access through the
/var/www/html directory." this is very unclear, what is in the error_log?
please post relevant log-lines.
Ralf