Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net> on 2003/10/17 19:40:44 UTC

[all] why junit 3.7 instead of 3.8.1?

The subject pretty much says it all... why do the majority of commons
projects depend on junit 3.7 instead of 3.8.1?

Re: [all] why junit 3.7 instead of 3.8.1?

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
I usually read the release notes to discover the differences between
versions.  There are only a few noticable changes between 3.7 and 3.8.1:

- Deleted deprecated assert(boolean) in favor of assertTrue(boolean) and
assertFalse(boolean). To migrate to JUnit 3.8, rename calls to
assert(boolean) to call assertTrue(boolean).

- Added assertFalse() to avoid the difficult of reading the assertTrue(!
condition).

- Added assertNotSame(Object, Object).

I guess I'm of the mindset that getting the latest version of a library
is the best thing to do.  Maybe this is naive.  I don't see saving users
the trouble of 5 mouse clicks to get another jar as that big of a deal.
    But, it doesn't seem that using 3.7 is that big of a deal either...
  I was just curious.