Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/01/03 16:58:59 UTC

Worth importing the DevFaq to Confluence?

Hi all,

I've been doing some experiments trying to include the NetBeans
developer faq to Confluence. Here are some conclusions:

1. It may be possible to upload DevFaq entries to Confluence with some
effort.
2. We're waiting for INFRA to install the UWC plugin, which is
unsupported but might help us automate the import in some extent.
3. Confluence content is stored in a proprietary format, available
through a REST API, that is poorly documented. Exporting content in the
future may be complicated.

So the question is: do we want to host the DevFaq in Confluence? Or
should we go to web publishing instead?

Thanks,
Antonio

Re: Worth importing the DevFaq to Confluence?

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Some comments below

On 04/01/18 09:05, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
> <ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> ...optionally netbeans.org
>> could redirect to netbeans.apache.org -- i.e., the two URLs could
>> point to the same site (simpler than having two separate sites)....
>
> I would recommend doing that, it's easier to manage and from the ASF
> side we much prefer having everything under *.apache.org domains.
> netbeans.apache.org/docs or /users should be good enough to separate
> things. You might even have different styles or colors for these
> website areas to make things even clearer.

Fully agree with both of you.

> I don't see the point of having developer docs in the wiki and the
> rest at netbeans.apache.org - all that content is durable and belongs
> to the website IMO, as opposed to drafts or moving targets for which a
> wiki is good.

Agreed.

The only advantage I can see of using Confluence to host content is the
bundled editor, that makes it easier for users to edit content.

But github also has an integrated editor, with a preview feature. The
page at [1], for instance, can be edited inline by pressing the "pencil"
icon to the right of the "Raw|Blame|History" buttons (you have to have
repository permissions for this).

Cheers,
Antonio

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-tools/blob/master/wiki-export/wiki-wikimedia/BrandingAboutDialog.mediawiki

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
All correct from my perspective, except that optionally netbeans.org
could redirect to netbeans.apache.org -- i.e., the two URLs could
point to the same site (simpler than having two separate sites).

Gj

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 6:01 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...To me, it's not very clear what the difference is between, e.g,
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Developer+FAQ
> (i.e., the Apache NetBeans Wiki) and netbeans.apache.org (i.e., the
> developer-facing Apache NetBeans site)....

For durable content like a developer's FAQ I'd use the
netbeans.apache.org website for sure. With the publishing process that
you're working on (using JBake + gitpubsub) you have complete control
over the content with minimal dependencies on stuff that you don't
control. The content is nicely version controlled in Git, which also
makes contributions easy using the same mechanism than for code.

IMO the Confluence wiki is good for collecting content, drafting
things etc. including allowing users to contribute directly to that
content, but you only have partial control on how things look and
work, and as the Confluence instance is shared it's often hard to
customize things.

> ...3. Confluence content is stored in a proprietary format, available through a REST
> API, that is poorly documented. Exporting content in the future may be complicated...

Indeed, another big plus for the website for durable content - the
format is well documented and simple.

-Bertrand

Re: Worth importing the DevFaq to Confluence?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great, thanks for the progress and work on this.

To me, it's not very clear what the difference is between, e.g,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Developer+FAQ
(i.e., the Apache NetBeans Wiki) and netbeans.apache.org (i.e., the
developer-facing Apache NetBeans site).

Maybe mentors or someone else can help on this point. To me, since we
had the FAQ on wiki.netbeans.org before, we could/should have it on
the cwiki.apache.org now.

Gj