Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/01 02:59:16 UTC

Re: Top Level Security Page

Might be useful to add a link to the security page under "General Information".

The page mentions denial of service - not sure that applies to any of
the Commons components?

Re: Top Level Security Page

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-09-01, sebb wrote:

> On 1 September 2014 04:53, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2014-09-01, sebb wrote:

>>> The page mentions denial of service - not sure that applies to any of
>>> the Commons components?

>> The one issue with Compress could be used for a DoS attack.

> I think that would require that Compress was being used as part of a
> service, e.g. in Tomcat.
> It it was part of a stand-alone app this would not be classed as a DOS.

You are absolutely correct.  Looking at the component in isolation there
hasn't been a security issue at all - just performance problem with some
degenerate input.  If there was any security issue at all it was a
potential DOS for services using Commons Compress.

> I'm not insisting that this phrase be removed, but it seems out of
> place to me for library components.

Understood.

Picking a different example:
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2014-0050 a way to
trigger an infinite loop in FileUpload.  Some library components are
more like public services :-)

Stefan

Re: Top Level Security Page

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Top Level Security Page

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-09-01, sebb wrote:

> Might be useful to add a link to the security page under "General
> Information".

Right.