Posted to users@isis.apache.org by James Agada <Ja...@CWG-PLC.COM> on 2015/02/15 16:03:08 UTC

Application Generator For Isis

I am working on a project that will allow me generate a basic Usable Isis app from a database model using Telosys. I think Isis needs something like that.

Sent from my iPhone
This email and any attachment thereto are confidential and priviledged. if you have received it in error, please delete immediately and notify the sender. Do not disclose, copy, circulate or in any way use it. The information contained therein is for the address only, if you reply on it, its at your own risk. Emails are not guaranteed to be secure or error free, the message and any attachment could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, delayed, incomplete or ammended. Computer warehouse group and its divisions do not accept liability for damage caused by this email or any attachment. The message you tried to print is protected with Information Rights Management. You don't have the necessary user rights to print the message.

Re: Application Generator For Isis

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 17 February 2015 at 08:46, <au...@telekom.de> wrote:

> Having that available one would have the possibility to create a (nearly)
> fully functional Isis-Application out of the UML-Model.
> The only thing I see (that's why "neraly") is that all behavior which is
> usually done by coding - for example the
> validateXXX - methods - has to be extracted into an extra-class named
> "BehaviourXXX" where all
> the code goes which is *not* generated.
>
> Modeling behavior ( i.e. all that whiles, fors, if then elses) by uml is a
> nightmare

Agreed.

> Isis could do it by looking if a "BehaviourXXX" class exists as a sibling
> of "XXX" class and do an automatic delegation.
> By Using jdk 8 it may be an option to "inject" the behavior into XXX too.

Actually, Isis does support this using:
- contributions (contributed actions/collections/properties) [1] and also
- subscribers [2],[3],[4] on the event bus [5].

So it would be possible to have the domain entities hold only the structure
("know-what"), and externalize all behaviour into contributions and
subscribers ("know-how-to").

> Of course that's a little bit against the "philosophy" of Isis and leaves
> the path of simplicity which is of very high value
> in my regards.

I think there's a time and a place for it; it's a spectrum.  Isis is
flexible enough to support either approach.

The important thing to ensure is that the codebase is decoupled in line
with the single responsibiliity principle: code that changes at the same
rate can be bundled together, otherwise it should be split apart.  That
applies both to classes within a module and also to the structure/behaviour
of a single class.

If an entity's structure and behaviour tends to change at the same rate,
then follow the original "behaviourally complete" idea, and implement the
actions/validation as regular methods on the entity.

If an entity's structure is fairly static but the behaviour changes more
often, then factor out that behaviour into contributions and subscribers.

Note that this second approach is the rationale behind CQRS... separating
out commands (behaviour) from queries.  Of course, they then tend to take
it to another level again which is to separate out the datastores both for
each module (which they generally incorrectly call a bounded context)
and/or separate out the datastores for the query vs the commands.  I think
that is over-engineered for the use cases where Isis fits.  But even so,
the general concept of splitting out code that changes at different rates
is sound.

HTH
Dan

[1]
http://isis.apache.org/more-advanced-topics/how-to-01-062-How-to-decouple-dependencies-using-contributions.html
[2]
http://isis.apache.org/reference/recognized-annotations/ActionInteraction.html
[3]
http://isis.apache.org/reference/recognized-annotations/CollectionInteraction.html
[4]
http://isis.apache.org/reference/recognized-annotations/PropertyInteraction.html
[5] http://isis.apache.org/reference/services/event-bus-service.html

> Augustinus
>
> Sorry for just exchanging ideas and no code ;-)

AW: Application Generator For Isis

Posted by au...@telekom.de.
I was thinking about that some time ago already but had no time to give it a try.

It would mean to create a UML-Profile for the Isis facets.
Most probably one can generate the UML-Profile by reading the Isis-facets.

Having that available one would have the possibility to create a (nearly) fully functional Isis-Application out of the UML-Model.
The only thing I see (that's why "neraly") is that all behavior which is usually done by coding - for example the
validateXXX - methods - has to be extracted into an extra-class named "BehaviourXXX" where all
the code goes which is *not* generated.

Modeling behavior ( i.e. all that whiles, fors, if then elses) by uml is a nightmare and on should not be forced
to create, use and learn a DSL for that purpose in my point of view.
Isis could do it by looking if a "BehaviourXXX" class exists as a sibling of "XXX" class and do an automatic delegation.
By Using jdk 8 it may be an option to "inject" the behavior into XXX too.

Of course that's a little bit against the "philosophy" of Isis and leaves the path of simplicity which is of very high value
in my regards.

May be it would be better to create an Isis - Application first (to gather experience)
having "class", "method", "field" as the domain which
is by careful design open enough to read that domain from a UML - Model either by reading an XMI-file or
by reading the domain entities via eclipse UML 2 API.

However : Ideas are important but who has the time to build some kind of add-on

Augustinus

Sorry for just exchanging ideas and no code ;-)

I think it would be good to forward engineer from uml modeler tool where Metadata can be managed in the form of tags and perhaps uml constraints and the domain model can be modeled as uml class diagram. Reverse engineer and sync would provide governance.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Dan Haywood" <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> Date:Mon, 16 Feb, 2015 at 4:07
Subject:Re: Application Generator For Isis

If you get something working, would certainly be happy to link to it from the isisaddons page.

Dan

Posted by James Agada <Ja...@CWG-PLC.COM>.
>From UML will be good.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.

From:"Dan Haywood" <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Date:Mon, 16 Feb, 2015 at 4:07

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Swapnil Bhatia <re...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, something like that would be great. Check out wavemaker, for
example.