Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Erik C. Brooks" <Er...@archondev.com> on 2010/10/08 00:08:46 UTC

Domino Tomcat connector: I'd like to hire somebody to bring it back

Hello group,

I'd like to modernize the Domino Tomcat connector for Win64.  I've got a
great Domino C developer here who has a lot of DSAPI experience.  I'm more
than willing to pay, and would love to release it back to the community.
Please contact me if interested at the email below.

Erik C. Brooks
Vice President, Lead Software Engineer
Archon Development Corp.
erik@archondev.com
T: +1 850-201-6400
F: +1 850-201-6404

Re: Domino Tomcat connector: I'd like to hire somebody to bring it back

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 08.10.2010 08:48, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 12:08 AM, Erik C. Brooks wrote:
>> Hello group,
>>
>> I'd like to modernize the Domino Tomcat connector for Win64. I've got a
>> great Domino C developer here who has a lot of DSAPI experience. I'm more
>> than willing to pay, and would love to release it back to the community.
>> Please contact me if interested at the email below.
>>

> This is not going to happen since the Lotus Domino is
> proprietary software which cannot be used freely.
>
> Solution would be that IBM donates Domino licenses
> to the ASF so that development could took place, but that's
> a different story.

To add some motivation: reviving the DSAPI connector would only make
sense, if the project were able to maintain it long-term. So it is not
primarily the question of someone bringing it up to date now, but having
people in the project who can maintain the code.

Being able to access Domino in order to test and improve is a critical
part of that. It could be fixed by IBM like another proprietary web
server vendor with connector support did by providing licenses for
development inside the ASF.

Devoting development time is another issue. Of course you can pay
someone now to do the initial work, but there needs to be someone there
who has a sustained interest in maintaining the code afterwards. The
project is open for contributions and if the project is convinced that a
contributor has a sustained interest in maintaining the code long-term
there is a chance of becoming part of the project.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Domino Tomcat connector: I'd like to hire somebody to bring it back

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 10/08/2010 12:08 AM, Erik C. Brooks wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'd like to modernize the Domino Tomcat connector for Win64.  I've got a
> great Domino C developer here who has a lot of DSAPI experience.  I'm more
> than willing to pay, and would love to release it back to the community.
> Please contact me if interested at the email below.

This is not going to happen since the Lotus Domino is
proprietary software which cannot be used freely.

Solution would be that IBM donates Domino licenses
to the ASF so that development could took place, but that's
a different story.

Regards
--
^TM