Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ngcutura <ng...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/14 10:48:42 UTC

LDAP Authorization

Hi all,

Is it possible to configure (with existing modules) LDAP authorization?

It is clear to me how to achieve LDAP authentication but I would also like
to use LDAP to store access privileges instead of having them in AMQ config
file.

Regards,
NGC

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by qbeardn <bo...@msn.com>.
We are also trying to use LDAP for user authentication and message
authorization.  A co-worker of mine found a mismatch between the code and
documentation [1].

After assorted code and configuration tweaks, he has arrived at what seems
like a reasonable set of changes and also has a way to authorize message by
queue/topic provided they are predefined.  I am aware that JMS does not
allow wild-carded destinations (though ActiveMQ does), and we are looking
for a way to make use of that in our authorization.  We are considering
creating a new AuthorizationMap that would reuse much of LDAPAuthorization,
but it seems to me that there is likely a solution which we are just not
finding.

Any help out there?

thanks, bob

 [1] For example, on
    http://activemq.apache.org/security.html
in the section
   LDAP Authentication Using the JAAS Plugin
the configuration parameter
    topicSearchMatching
must have been updated to
    topicSearchMatchingFormat
which is a MessageFormat in ActiveMQ 5.3.2.

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by lhays <lh...@gmail.com>.

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by ngcutura <ng...@gmail.com>.

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by Sagi Mann <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by ngcutura <ng...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you Hiram and James for help. I followed your instructions and started
some tests with LDAP Authorization Map. I opened a thread on developers'
forum with some questions regarding integration of LDAPAuthorizationMap into
AMQ.

Some guidance would be very helpful!

Thanks and regards,
NGC

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. Also the unit tests can take a while to run so I'd recommend doing...

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk activemq
cd activemq
mvn clean install -Dmaven.test.skip=true

--

James
-------

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I would checkout all of activemq, not just the core.

then run mvn eclipse:eclipse at the root.
this should setup eclipse project for each of the modules.

On 6/14/06, ngcutura <ng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Help me start! :-)
>
> I downloaded Maven 2 plugin for Eclipse, installed and checked out
> activemq-core. It won't build, eclipse cannot find activemq-parent.
>
>   <parent>
>     <artifactId>activemq-parent</artifactId>
>     <groupId>incubator-activemq</groupId>
>     <version>4.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>   </parent>
>
> I am aware that this question is off topic but I cannot get going... I have
> no experience with Maven and I cannot create ordinary Eclipse project as
> libraries are missing (Maven knows how to get them but I don't) ...
> Instructions for NetBeans IDE will also do.
>
> Help!
> NGC

Hiram

Re: LDAP Authorization

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/06, ngcutura <ng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I thought looking at the sources...
>
> OK, I'll volounteer! I need that functionality, anyway. :-)

Great!

> I'll need some guidance during implementation. Should I subscribe to the
> developer mailing list?

Sure - or you could use the online developer  forum (its the same mailing list)
http://www.nabble.com/ActiveMQ---Dev-f2355.html

--

James
-------

Re: LDAP Authorization

Re: LDAP Authorization

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/06, ngcutura <ng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to configure (with existing modules) LDAP authorization?
>
> It is clear to me how to achieve LDAP authentication but I would also like
> to use LDAP to store access privileges instead of having them in AMQ config
> file.

We've all the plugins to make it fairly easy to slot an implementation
of this into ActiveMQ - but we have no implementation just yet :)

We basically need an implementation of the AuthorizationMap interface...
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/maven/activemq-core/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/security/AuthorizationMap.html

which uses LDAP/JNDI to find the available ACLs for a given
destination. Then we can just configure that on the
AuthorizationPlugin.

We welcome contributions if anyone fancies taking a stab at this
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/contributing.html
--

James
-------