Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Christian Helmbold <c....@gmx.de> on 2006/03/24 22:39:40 UTC

MyFaces without JavaScript

Hi

I wonder about the use of JavaScript in MyFaces. It would be good if the
MyFaces components could do their work without JavaScript whenever possible.
It is not necessary to use JavaSript in the Data Scroller component for
example.

Some peoble disalbe JavaScript for security reasons and the extensive use of
JavaScript makes it hard for search engines to index web pages.

Maybe this concern have been disussed in the past, but I haven't found
anything in the archive. So, I ask you to offer MyFaces with better support
of pure html without JavaScript in future releases.

regards, Christian

--
"Feel free" mit GMX FreeMail!
Monat f�r Monat 10 FreeSMS inklusive! http://www.gmx.net

Re: MyFaces without JavaScript

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Sean Schofield schrieb:
> I wonder how many users actually disable javascript?  All of the non
> programmers I know seem to have it enabled when I surf at their
> houses.  I can't imagine writing a very decent webapp without
> javascript.  I know its an issue for some projects but I wonder if
> management isn't being unreasonable in their demands.

Not too many, to my knowledge javascript not enabled currently only is
an issue in banking and other high security environents.
The main problem is more that having javascript on and all the ajax
stuff basically interferes with disability concerns (barrier free net is
huge in some governmental institutions)
but so does IE unfortunately.

Re: MyFaces without JavaScript

Re: MyFaces without JavaScript

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
> Christian,
>
> I think the majority of JSF users want to have Javascript enabled in
> order to get our interesting Tomahawk components working the way that
> they do.   Remember that even the basic JSF spec'd CommandLink
> requires javascript to be enabled.
>
> That said, there's nothing stopping you from creating an alternate
> renderkit that does not generate javascript.
>
> In this particular case, if the javascript in datascroller is
> unnecessary, submit a patch to show how to make it work the same
> without it and we'll take a look.
>
> You might also talk with Alexander Jesse as I know he also cares about
> the issue of javascript.

the main problem with not using javascript is you would lose the multi
form abilities in combination with http post.
You could theoretically do it without by moving all components over to a
http get domain, but then you run into myriads of other issues, in the
end it is not worth it.
I am not sure if JSF is the framework to use, if you have to avoid
javascript, the efforts you have to put in are not worth it.

Re: MyFaces without JavaScript

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/06, Christian Helmbold <c....@gmx.de> wrote:
> I wonder about the use of JavaScript in MyFaces. It would be good if the
> MyFaces components could do their work without JavaScript whenever possible.
> It is not necessary to use JavaSript in the Data Scroller component for
> example.
>
> Some peoble disalbe JavaScript for security reasons and the extensive use of
> JavaScript makes it hard for search engines to index web pages.
>
> Maybe this concern have been disussed in the past, but I haven't found
> anything in the archive. So, I ask you to offer MyFaces with better support
> of pure html without JavaScript in future releases.

Christian,

I think the majority of JSF users want to have Javascript enabled in
order to get our interesting Tomahawk components working the way that
they do.   Remember that even the basic JSF spec'd CommandLink
requires javascript to be enabled.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from creating an alternate
renderkit that does not generate javascript.

In this particular case, if the javascript in datascroller is
unnecessary, submit a patch to show how to make it work the same
without it and we'll take a look.

You might also talk with Alexander Jesse as I know he also cares about
the issue of javascript.

Thanks!