Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Ross <sr...@calicowebdev.com> on 2006/09/07 16:42:19 UTC

Question re: setting up Rails project

I have an existing Rails project in a local subversion repository that I¹ve
managed to hose several times. I set up a remote repository and would prefer
to get things right this time. Here are the scenarios I need to get right:

Dir structure (abbreviated)

app
  controllers
  models
log  (on checkout, create directory, but don¹t manage any files under log)
config (manage all files except database.yml)
vendor
  rails (external at dev.rubyonrails.org)

This isn¹t exactly right, but you see where I¹m going. I need to use
svn:ignore in some places and svn:external in others. What¹s happened in the
past is that these commands have gotten my repository AFU and I¹ve had to
start over from scratch. I¹m hoping somebody who really knows how to work
svn can help me out.

Thanks

Re: Question re: setting up Rails project

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 7, 2006, at 18:42, Steve Ross wrote:

> I have an existing Rails project in a local subversion repository
> that I’ve managed to hose several times. I set up a remote
> repository and would prefer to get things right this time. Here are
> the scenarios I need to get right:
>
> Dir structure (abbreviated)
>
> app
>   controllers
>   models
> log  (on checkout, create directory, but don’t manage any files
> under log)
> config (manage all files except database.yml)
> vendor
>   rails (external at dev.rubyonrails.org)
>
> This isn’t exactly right, but you see where I’m going. I need to
> use svn:ignore in some places and svn:external in others. What’s
> happened in the past is that these commands have gotten my
> repository AFU and I’ve had to start over from scratch. I’m hoping
> somebody who really knows how to work svn can help me out.

I don't know what that means. How did you mess up the repository?
What error messages occurred? What commands did you execute to get
there/ What operating system is the client and server running on? The
above dir structure should be easy to manage in Subversion. Show us
what you did and maybe we can help straighten out anything that's not
quite right.

Re: FW: Question re: setting up Rails project

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/7/06, s.ross <cw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This isn¹t exactly right, but you see where I¹m going. I need to use
> svn:ignore in some places and svn:external in others. What¹s happened in
> the
> past is that these commands have gotten my repository AFU and I¹ve had to
> start over from scratch. I¹m hoping somebody who really knows how to work
> svn can help me out.

I would suggest starting with a scratch Rails project and a local file repo
until you know what your setup should be. It sounds like you have the right
concepts: ignore and external. So that tells me you've likely read the
manual, which is good. What specific questions did you have?

There are quite a few people here who really know svn but you need to give
us more direct questions.

FW: Question re: setting up Rails project