Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/07/13 01:11:40 UTC

[views] ApacheCon workshop

Hello devs,

what do *you* expect to see on the upcoming workshop?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [views] ApacheCon workshop

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>- understand your vision for their future
>>- develop that vision through brainstorming
>

>     Since time is limited, perhaps we can merge both parts into a
>     brainstorming session that gives us a list of things we expect
>     from views in the future, then go strait from there into a
>     discussion of what is possible and consensus and when this can be
>     implemented.

Just a point of order. We cannot gain consensus at the workshop as there
will be no opportunity for devs not present to have their say. We can
only come up with recommendations. Consensus must be reached onlist
after the event.

>     How about starting the list of things we expect right now to save
>     even more time and allow non-Stuttgartians to contribute.

Good idea. I'll start a thread in a few minutes.

Ross

Re: [views] ApacheCon workshop

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> - to come away understanding how views (currently) work
    +1

    A presentation that walks us step by step through the architecture
    and shows examples for using every step would be ideal and a great
    start for whoever will write more documentation later on.

> - understand your vision for their future
> - develop that vision through brainstorming

    Since time is limited, perhaps we can merge both parts into a
    brainstorming session that gives us a list of things we expect
    from views in the future, then go strait from there into a
    discussion of what is possible and consensus and when this can be
    implemented.

    How about starting the list of things we expect right now to save
    even more time and allow non-Stuttgartians to contribute.

> - create an outline roadmap for views development and how they will
>   replace skins in 0.8

    +1

    This roadmap should ideally be very clear on the features we do
    expect to implement, will definitely not implement (for a reason),
    may implement.

David Crossley wrote:

> I want to see an outcome that enables us to clarify the
> direction so we can send a clear summary to the dev mailing list.

Yes, this is very important to me as well.

> Also improve the examples and documentation. That might happen
> on the hackathon day following the workshop.

I'd like to work on that if I understand enough during the workshop.
I'd also offer to go through and edit the some of the existing
documentation if I may?

--
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: [views] ApacheCon workshop

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >what do *you* expect to see on the upcoming workshop?
>
> My personal wish list:
>
> - to come away understanding how views (currently) work
> - understand your vision for their future
> - develop that vision through brainstorming
> - create an outline roadmap for views development and how they will
> replace skins in 0.8
>
> ----
>
> I imagine the first point can only be come about from you showing us how
> to do stuff. I don't mean a formal presentation. Perhaps you could
> introduce views and then try and answer our confused questions with
> demonstrations.
>
> The second item will emerge during discussion, I suspect.
>
> The third is only achievable through group dynamics. Lets just let it
> happen.
>
> The fourth will emerge from the third and should be finalised when we
> return to the mailing lists to allow other devs to contribute.

+4 :-)

I want to see an outcome that enables us to clarify the
direction so we can send a clear summary to the dev mailing list.

Also improve the examples and documentation. That might happen
on the hackathon day following the workshop.

-David

Re: [views] ApacheCon workshop

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.