Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/01/29 09:05:54 UTC

[OT] treasure hunting (was: Re: Classic compiler)

on 1/28/01 11:03 PM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Oh, and if Jon doesn't do it, I would be more than happy to take his place
>> :)
>
> me too ;)

Ya know? I just don't get it. I made the subscription process intentionally
harder for people to get through without first reading the page that asks
people to not send html email and to post to the right list and people
*still* don't do it right.

I think that I'm going to hide the URL for the subscription page in the
source of the HTML and then describe to people how they can find it. Almost
like a treasure hunt. *Maybe* that will get people to actually read the
page.

-jon

Re: [OT] treasure hunting (was: Re: Classic compiler)

Posted by Cedric Berger <ce...@wireless-networks.com>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

> Ya know? I just don't get it. I made the subscription process intentionally
> harder for people to get through without first reading the page that asks
> people to not send html email and to post to the right list and people
> *still* don't do it right.
>
> -jon

Lemme ask you a question: Do you usually read the License agreement when
you download a new version of the JDK on Sun's site?

No. Why? it's too long.

If you want people read your stuff on http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html,
remove the fat.

Something like that, in red:

1) don't send HTML messages
2) don't ask questions on:
  - general@jakarta.apache.org
  - tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org

And as it looks like many people hate HTML messages, a better approach would
be to install a filter that bounce the message back with a *nice* explanation.

OH, BTW, I REALLY *HATE* THE EXTRA SCROLLING+CLICK I HAVE TO DO NOW
TO *BROWSE* ON OF THE MAILING LIST.

Cedric

Re: [OT] treasure hunting (was: Re: Classic compiler)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:

> Jon Stevens wrote:

> > > me too ;)
> >
> > Ya know? I just don't get it. I made the subscription process intentionally
> > harder for people to get through without first reading the page that asks
> > people to not send html email and to post to the right list and people
> > *still* don't do it right.
> >
> > I think that I'm going to hide the URL for the subscription page in the
> > source of the HTML and then describe to people how they can find it. Almost
> > like a treasure hunt. *Maybe* that will get people to actually read the
> > page.
> >

> I kinda wonder if people knew I was joking.  I am not sending this out
> to the public list because there have been 3 responses already...

<ug> Sorry :)

Velocity : it's not just a good idea. It should be the law.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity

Re: [OT] treasure hunting (was: Re: Classic compiler)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.