Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ralf Kintrup <Ra...@combots.com> on 2006/02/27 14:16:54 UTC

[m2] problems with transient dependencies

Hi,

I am trying to package an M2 project and getting the following statement
due to unsatisfied transient dependencies:

required artifacts missing:
  javax.transaction:jta:jar:1.0.1B
  jsch:jsch:jar:0.1.24
  jmock:jmock-cglib:jar:${jmock_cglib_version}
  howl:howl-logger:jar:${howl_logger_version}
  incubator-derby:derby:jar:${derby_version}
  jmock:jmock:jar:${jmock_version}
  <...>

Due to the transient nature of the dependencies in M2, these resources
are needed even though my project does not directly depend on them.
There are two problems here:
1. There are required artifacts like "jsch-0.1.24" that is not available
   in any of the M2 repositories I know.
2. Some projects seem to rely on externally configured literal values
   which results in non-interpolated literal value in their POM.

The POMs with these unknown dependencies and literal values have not yet
been downloaded to my local M2 repository. So I have no way to handle
this by changing dependency scopes or by replacing literal values in the
POM.

Due to the nature of transient dependencies I believe that this is a
common problem of Maven 2.x. What possiblities do I have to solve them
and get my project to compile again?

Cheers,
Ralf

Re: [m2] problems with transient dependencies

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I just submitted Jsch 0.1.25 to JIRA Mavenupload:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-758

You can do the same with the other projects. Start here:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD

Follow directions to upload other dependencies to the Maven repository:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html

Not all dependencies can be accepted into the Maven repo for legal
reasons, so don't bother uploading java.transaction for example. Only
code/projects using licenses which freely allow distribution will be
accepted.

Alternatively, you can download these dependencies and install them in
your own local repository. But I prefer the option above, as it helps
more people, and is better in the long-run. ;-)

Wayne

Posted by Napoleon Esmundo Ramirez <nr...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Aside from requesting artifact uploads to ibiblio, you can install the
missing artifacts (along with default poms or your customized poms) to your
local repository yourself.  This would satisfy your project dependencies; it
is also a solution to third party jars that are not allowed to be
distributed freely in ibiblio.

Moreover, if you are sure that your project is not dependent on the
artifacts you mentioned, you can exclude those artifacts in your project's
pom.  This would get your project to compile successfully again, but you
can't be sure if it would run well since the excluded artifacts are
transitive dependencies after all.

More related reading material:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-installing-3rd-party-jars.html