Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2003/06/18 17:41:07 UTC

Re: [math] StatUtilsTest (was: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat StatUtils.java)

I'm starting to feel replying to commit messages probibly isn't the best
route to posting on the list. I recommend we not do it or at least
rewrite the subject headings to include the [math] string.

Back to the subject, Yes, your quite right, I feel there are two avenues
of testing going on here:

(1) Direct testing: Copy the StoreUnivariateImplTest and rewrite it to
work with StatUtils as StatUtilsTest..

(2) Indirect testing: All UnivariateTests currently implemented will
test against the StatUtil once those implementations have been altered
to delegate to StatUtils where ever possible. This is currently the case
with UnivariateImplTest which now really testing against StatUtils in
the windowed case (This is what I've been testing against during the
intial dev of StatUtils..

I'm for both approaches as the later won't neccessarily be all inclusive
of StatUtils capabilities.

-Mark

Re: [math] StatUtilsTest

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> (1) Direct testing: Copy the StoreUnivariateImplTest and rewrite it to
> work with StatUtils as StatUtilsTest..

Done

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Phil Steitz wrote:

>Each class should include direct test cases and each new commit should be
>accompanied by test cases.  Unless we want to modify the guidelines, we need to
>comply with them.  You will notice that we have lots of other classes (e.g.
>RandomData, all of the distributions stuff) that are used by other things, but
>all include direct test cases. The basic principle is very simple -- every
>method needs to be tested.
>
>Phil

*Test Infected* :-)

-M.