Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus S <yo...@hispeed.ch> on 2007/06/06 21:03:05 UTC

Commit failed: 'Can't copy ... Input/output error'

Hi,

I have my working copy on a SMB share hosted on Windows and access from
OS X. On a newly created file I get the following error message:

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't copy '/Volumes/SHARE-.../filename.txt' to
'/Volumes/SHARE-.../.svn/tmp/text-base/filename.txt.svn-base.tmp':
Input/output error

This is a file I created in the working copy. Succesfully added (which
I guess is only a local 'adding' before the commit) but commiting
fails. I have used this working copy successfully for a while now.

Very occasionally, I am not able to save a modified file out of a
variety of applications to that server share. I then always do a save
as, go to the share, delete the old file and rename the new one back to
its old name. That means, this whole thing could be a SMB bug.

Any ideas?

Markus

Re: Commit failed: 'Can't copy ... Input/output error'

Posted by Markus S <yo...@hispeed.ch>.
Did a bit on googling on this issue. There are now at least four
threads already here in this newsgroups, starting in December 2005 with
the following subject lines:

12/ 2005: Another SVN Permissions Problem (

03/ 2006: Issue on a mounted volume on osx

11/ 2006: commit, with working copy on SMB share not working

06/ 2007: Commit failed: 'Can't copy ... Input/output error'

Other reports on the net:
http://sonicchicken.net/blog/wordpress/2006/03/11/progress-on-scplugin/#comment-701
(see comment #3)
http://www.chriscassell.net/log/2007/01/09/subversion_quir.html

Somebody seems have tracked down a bug in Samba that caused problems
with subversion and is working on a patch. He does not specify the
precise problems in subversion and is using VMS not Mac OS X but the
error messages are the same:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-vms/2006-May/001649.html

The common thread is always a working copy on a Samba share and
subversion running on Mac OS X 10.4.x and the failure to commit a file.
Some of the comments report a 'permission denied' but most report an
'Input/output error' trying to copy to
'text-base/filename.txt.svn-base.tmp' (where filename.txt' is the file
on which subversion chokes).

Subversion' versions vary from 1.2.x to 1.4.x. Samba share can be
hosted on Windows or Linux. Most importantly several people report this
problem only for empty files and verified it (11/ 2006 and
chriscassel). My experience supports this finding. I can add that if an
empty file has been added from a non-SMB working copy, checking out or
updating a working copy to an SMB share also fails, even if the empty
file has been exchanged with a non-empty file. It apparently is
sufficient that somewhere in the history of the repository an empty
file was present.

Re: Commit failed: 'Can't copy ... Input/output error'

Posted by Markus S <yo...@hispeed.ch>.
>> I have my working copy on a SMB share hosted on Windows and access
>> from OS X. On a newly created file I get the following error message:

Checked out a new working copy to the SMB share. Added the file. Same
error message on commit.

Checked out a new working copy to my local machine (OS X). Added the
file. Commited. Worked! No error message.

Tried to update the new working copy on the SMB share (to add that
single this way). Error messages keep getting longer:
svn: In directory '/Volumes/SHARE-... '
svn: Can't copy '/Volumes/SHARE-...
/.svn/tmp/text-base/testpath.txt.svn-base' to '/Volumes/SHARE-...
/.svn/tmp/testpath.txt.tmp.tmp': Input/output error

Adding files to other repositories from working copies sitting on the
same SMB share works fine. Something seems to be suddenly broken with
this repository that manifests itself with SMB shares (or something is
broken with respect to SMB shares that manifests itself with this
repository).

Re: Commit failed: 'Can't copy ... Input/output error'

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 6, 2007, at 16:03, Markus S wrote:

> I have my working copy on a SMB share hosted on Windows and access
> from OS X. On a newly created file I get the following error message:
>
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Can't copy '/Volumes/SHARE-.../filename.txt' to '/Volumes/
> SHARE-.../.svn/tmp/text-base/filename.txt.svn-base.tmp': Input/
> output error
>
> This is a file I created in the working copy. Succesfully added
> (which I guess is only a local 'adding' before the commit) but
> commiting fails. I have used this working copy successfully for a
> while now.
>
> Very occasionally, I am not able to save a modified file out of a
> variety of applications to that server share. I then always do a
> save as, go to the share, delete the old file and rename the new
> one back to its old name. That means, this whole thing could be a
> SMB bug.

I have never been particularly successful in using a Subversion
working copy on Mac OS X 10.4 that's hosted on a SMB share on Linux,
though I had no problems opening files from it into my editor, say,
and saving modifications. Whenever I wanted to use Subversion
commands, I would ssh in to the Linux server and run the Subversion
commands on its command line.