Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jordan Naftolin <jo...@jtcsv.com> on 2000/06/09 20:57:15 UTC

News from JavaOne

On Wednesday night I sat on the xml.apache BOF panel to talk about FOP.  In my opinion it went really well.  I'm guessing that there were around 150-200 people that attended the BOF (though it was hard to see with the lights in my eyes :)
In addition to giving a brief description of FOP, I showed them how IBM is currently using FOP to generate an Xerces-C documentation PDF from the stylebook XML.  I also showed how easy it is to change the look and feel of the PDF by simply modifying an XSL stylesheet.
Several people aproached me after the BOF to say that they liked the demo and that they were going to look into FOP in more detail.  I was asked a few questions about image support, unicode support (I wasn't sure about this one), and WYSIWYG xsl:fo editors (I haven't heard of any to date).
Overall I think it was a good promoter for FOP as there seemed to be a lot of interest in it.  Hopefully we can continue to get some more exposure in order to raise FOP awareness and interest.
For those of you that either attended the BOF or heard anything about it, your comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Jordan
P.S.  Keep up the good work!

Re: News from JavaOne

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
Hi, Jordan

For my part, thanks for doing this. It sounds good, and I'm encouraged by
the interest.

I just got back from JavaOne myself, and I have to confess that there were so
many good sessions and BOFs related to my real work that I had zero
opportunity to take in any that had personal and/or FOP connections. There
were 2 of us there from my company, and we were pretty tired puppies by
Friday. :-)

Anyhow, thanks again.

Arved