Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by r3...@vzavenue.net on 2003/04/08 01:55:10 UTC

Suggestions for format of longer guide documentation

Hello everyone,

I've started work on a longer guide for Xalan-C++. I started using Docbook (as xml), but realized it might be nice to ask everyone what they think is a good format. I'm not very far into so it won't be a big deal if the consensus is not Docbook.

Docbook seems adequate to me because:
  * xml format with xslt for transformation - seems like we should use xml tech for our documentation. :)
  * extensible but has a *very* rich set of tags and styles
  * fairly well distributed and used (well, at least on unix systems.)

And as I don't know of too many other xml-based documentation formats (other than html), it was kind of the first choice. :)

Any suggestions are well-appreciated, both for format or content. I can post the current outline if anyone is interested to the list or put it up on a webserver.

Thanks,
Rachael

Re: Suggestions for format of longer guide documentation

Posted by "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tf...@netcentral.com>.
I agree with the choice of an XML-based documentation format. Seems to me
that this allows transformation of the docs to other formats, anyway.

DocBook seems like a good choice to me.

Just two more cents...

-tfo

Posted by Rachael Ludwick <r3...@vzavenue.net>.
<snip>
> Having said that - it might not be the best for doing the overall
> guide/documentation.  I suppose it depends on how big things are going
> to get.  So it may be more appropriate to do a programming guide in
> Docbook and the web site in Forrest?

Fairly big. I'll drop the outline on the lists when I go back over to linux.

Are you thinking the regular online website docs (Getting Started, FAQ, etc)
should be made using Forrest?

Posted by Rachael Ludwick <r3...@vzavenue.net>.
> Can the guide actually be put into CVS with the other Xalan-C++ work? It
> would let others add more easily, maybe.
> Galen

Yes. Right now I have it has Docbook with the major sections included as
entities (quickly realized I didn't want one monolithic file). The
subsections in could probably be done the same way, although I've only got
part of the introduction done. :)

Posted by Galen S Swint <zo...@cc.gatech.edu>.
Can the guide actually be put into CVS with the other Xalan-C++ work? It
would let others add more easily, maybe.
Galen

Galen S. Swint
swintgs@acm.org
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte213x