Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Holth <dh...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/11 21:58:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Compressing content from a reverse proxy using mod_filter

I am trying to compress certain content from a reverse proxy by using
mod_filter. The only way to know the mime type of the content is by
inspecting the Content-Type header from the back end. The request URI is not
a useful selector here because the system (Plone) keeps track of mime types
without regard to filename or location.

This configuration seems to do basically what I want, compressing everything
and then decompressing it again if it is an application.

I would rather be able to AND and OR multiple conditions to decide whether
to apply compression, duplicating the SetOutputFilter DEFLATE setup from the
docs that everyone uses in a way that works with ProxyPass.

Is it possible to AND multiple conditions for mod_filter FilterProvider?

ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
<Location />
    FilterDeclare gzip CONTENT_SET
    FilterDeclare gzipinflate CONTENT_SET
    FilterDeclare gzipinflate2 CONTENT_SET
    FilterProvider gzip deflate req=Accept-Encoding $gzip
    FilterProvider gzipinflate inflate resp=Content-Type $application/
    FilterChain +gzip +gzipinflate
</Location>

Thanks,

Daniel Holth

Re: [users@httpd] Compressing content from a reverse proxy using mod_filter

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:58:04 -0500
Daniel Holth <dh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to AND multiple conditions for mod_filter FilterProvider?

If upgrading to httpd 2.3 is an option then yes, it dispatches
on an arbitrary boolean expression.

If not, you'll have to work around it.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html