Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gerald Shifrin <ge...@wcom.com> on 2003/01/24 20:46:32 UTC

[users@httpd] Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)

I've searched all over and haven't found any clues for this problem. There
was a posting earlier this month that appeared to ask the same question (see
below), but I did not see any responses.

We're running Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6g.

The apache error_log is showing frequent (1-2 per minute) log entries that
say:

 [warn] (22)Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)

The only thing I could find close to this was an FAQ that says:
------------
Why am I getting "httpd: could not set socket option TCP_NODELAY" in my
error log?
This message almost always indicates that the client disconnected before
Apache reached the point of calling setsockopt() for the connection. It
shouldn't occur for more than about 1% of the requests your server handles,
and it's advisory only in any case.
------------
which isn't really about the same error message and does not appear to
address this problem.

I'm concerned since I suspect this error is associated with a user not being
able to access certain capabilities (JSP applications).

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

----------------------

List:     apache-httpd-users
Subject:  [users@httpd] Tcp nodelay error
Date:     2003-01-14 12:59:53

Hi,
I am getting lots of errors about TCP_NODELAY. Apache FAQ does describe
the problem and its solution. The problem is its regarding frequently.

[Thu Dec 19 11:49:22 2002] [warn] (22)Invalid argument: setsockopt:
(TCP_NODELAY) [Thu Dec 19 11:51:30 2002] [warn] (22)Invalid argument:
setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY) [Thu Dec 19 11:51:55 2002] [warn] (22)Invalid
argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY) [Thu Dec 19 11:53:33 2002] [warn]
(22)Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY) [Thu Dec 19 11:54:32
2002] [warn] (22)Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)

Please help

kapil

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Gerald Shifrin wrote:
>  [warn] (22)Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)
>
> The only thing I could find close to this was an FAQ that says:
> ------------
> Why am I getting "httpd: could not set socket option TCP_NODELAY" in my
> error log?
> This message almost always indicates that the client disconnected before
> Apache reached the point of calling setsockopt() for the connection. It
> shouldn't occur for more than about 1% of the requests your server handles,
> and it's advisory only in any case.
> which isn't really about the same error message and does not appear to
> address this problem.

I do believe that the FAQ directly addresses the (non-)problem. If I
remember correctly, future Apache versions are going to downgrade this
message so you won't even see it at the default LogLevel.  It really is
harmless, as long as it is a small proportion of your requests.

Joshua.