Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by Wojciech Kocjan <zo...@nowiny.net> on 2001/01/20 00:37:32 UTC

Is it wise to use dtcl with something bigger?

Hello.

Currently I've been involved (I didn't want to but that's another story
:) in a portal engine development.

As the topic is quite new it is possible to use whatever technology to do
it. Currently the best idea is to write it all in C, but I've been
wondering if it could be possible to use c+dtcl combination.

The core could be written in C, then there would be procs created using
Tcl_CreateCommand() as an interface to tcl...

There are two most significant things to consider:
1. how stable is dtcl? I'm using 0.8.12 (a bit modified) for my
development and it seems stable enough, but I haven't tested in on
thousands hits a day... has anybody tested it in such conditions?

2. how fast is dtcl in comparison to cgi written in c?

If anybody has any experience in these matters, I'd appreciate help.

Wojtek Kocjan
wojciech@kocjan.org

Re: Is it wise to use dtcl with something bigger?

Posted by Daniel <da...@covalent.net>.
What kind of functionality are you looking at?
Most functionality could be written entirely in Tcl.
Have you taken a look at the mod_perl/PHP/Java based portal-like engines
for ideas?
(look in freshmeat.net, etc.)

daniel@covalent.net

Re: Is it wise to use dtcl with something bigger?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
Wojciech Kocjan <zo...@nowiny.net> writes:

> Currently I've been involved (I didn't want to but that's another
> story :) in a portal engine development.

> As the topic is quite new it is possible to use whatever technology
> to do it. Currently the best idea is to write it all in C, but I've
> been wondering if it could be possible to use c+dtcl combination.

Tcl + C is a time-tested solution that works quite well for a variety
of things.  I think mod_dtcl is actually a good example of the power
of Tcl's C API.

> The core could be written in C, then there would be procs created
> using Tcl_CreateCommand() as an interface to tcl...

Yep...

> There are two most significant things to consider:

> 1. how stable is dtcl? I'm using 0.8.12 (a bit modified) for my
> development and it seems stable enough, but I haven't tested in on
> thousands hits a day... has anybody tested it in such conditions?

tcl.apache.org gets about 2000 hits a day, now, and has been running
unattended in my month of absence.

> 2. how fast is dtcl in comparison to cgi written in c?

Depends on a lot of factors....  CGI's have to fork new processes, so
dtcl is conceivably faster.  Depends on how much processing the C code
does.

You might write it as a CGI first, and then when the bugs are ironed
out, create a Tcl wrapper.

Good luck,
--
David N. Welton
     Personal:           http://www.efn.org/~davidw/

Re: Is it wise to use dtcl with something bigger?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
Wojciech Kocjan <zo...@nowiny.net> writes:

> 1. how stable is dtcl? I'm using 0.8.12 (a bit modified) for my
> development and it seems stable enough, but I haven't tested in on
> thousands hits a day... has anybody tested it in such conditions?

BTW, I feel pretty good about the version in CVS.  I will make a
release soon, but people should be aware of the changes (the file
upload API is different, for example).

Once I am more regularly connected, I will update the documentation,
and make a new release.

Does anyone want to be the 'official' freshmeat announcer?  I always
forget my password on that site and never bother to announce new
mod_dtcl packages...