Posted to dev@ibatis.apache.org by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/12 23:57:35 UTC

Maven for Build?

Hey Guys,

I wanted to throw a bone out to everyone and ask the question "Should we use
Maven for our build?". I put together a POM today that makes use of the
current iBATIS SQL Map structures. It is pretty darn simple and required
very little effort. The largest amount of my time was spent refactoring the
TestCL (Test Classloader) to use the current thread classloader as a parent
due to some incompatibilities with how Maven runs it's test. That aside, I
was surprised at how little effort it took to get the iBATIS SQLMap jar
built. Plus, Because of the dependency management of Maven I was able to
avoid having to use the oscache devsrc for oscache and avoid using the
devlib jars. I only used Maven to build the Data Mapper/SQL Map. I wasn't
familiar enough with Abator's build process to wire in Maven for it.

Benefits:

* I thought it would be good to aid in reducing the complexity of our
current build/deploy. If we want to provide our jars to the Maven crowd we
would be tasking the deploying member with taking the final jar built from
ant and running deploy:deploy-file for it. I have to say that I looked
through our release process and I really wouldn't want to add yet another
step. Seems like maven can consolidate this for us.
* We can run ant from within Maven if we so desire to continue performing
tasks that maven doesn't provide for.

Additional benefits, thoughts, or concerns?

Thanks,
Brandon

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
> Ouch, yeah, I hate it. :-D

What changes would you make to it?  I'm totally open to ideas.  I've
just never had a problem with it, so I never changed it.  :-)

One think I would do is ditch the build.properties file...nothing ever
changes in it, so it doesn't need to be external.  I'd also change
some of the property names.  (we did both when we cloned the build for
the new project)

Clinton

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Really?  I think our build is great.  We just cloned it for a project
we're working on.

I'm a -1 for Maven for primary build.  Ant works fine and I'm pissed
that we need to do all of this to get a frigging pom file and a majic
jar full of Maven meta-bs?  Jeeez.  If someone else is willing to do
all the work to get us there, I'm cool with that.  But it MUST still
be a one-click build.  No external dependencies or extra steps, and

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 2/13/07, Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org> wrote:
> I like the idea - it makes the checkout faster, and "mvn idea:idea" is
> worth it's weight in gold,

Not to mention mvn eclipse:eclipse.

We use Maven for the Struts builds. We're often on the leading edge of
what Maven (or Ant or Ivy) can do, and that's been painful sometimes.
But, it definitely works for us, and it does make it very easy for new
coders to get started.

-Ted.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
I'm willing to try Maven.

There would be no harm in Brandon creating the full Maven build that
does everything the existing build does (tests, coverage, reports,
versioning, manifest, deployable ZIP, release.txt update etc).
There's nothing in the current build that isn't used, so Maven would
have to do exactly the same thing or something equivalent or better
for it to be a suitable replacement.  At that point we could cut over
to Maven.

If Maven can do everything easier, faster, cleaner better, or for some
benefit....I would be willing to be completely wrong.  I'll post my
wrong-ness to this list publicly and send Brandon a cake.  :-)

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
you CAN CAN CAN CAN CAN build offline when in a car, or on a plane, when at
your home, or on a lome, when in a humjick, or on lumberjack. It is still
possible to build offline with maven.

We install programs every day that help us be more productive. Maven is just
that. Once you install it. iBATIS like many many many other projects will
build with a click.

I'm sure there are plenty of tools that you use that aren't one-click. You
are exaggerating. If you cared that much about it you wouldn't be on
Windows. ;-)

Brandon

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
DUDE IM GONNA KCIK YER BUTT!!

Larry

PS: It's fun to be silly in the middle of the week - unlike those
struts stiffs who can only giggle on Fridays. ;-)

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
I can offer some assistance if necessary.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info Ted.

Brandon

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
I just have to ask if any of you have actually used maven or is this just a
"fear somethign different debate"? If you have questions about whether Maven
can do something then ask a question rather than plant assertions that are
not accurate.

Brandon

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Slava Imeshev <vi...@viewtier.com>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for the feedback,

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Apologies in advance: I don't mean to sound like an ass.

This argument just seems like we are saying "Let's hack together
something even more convoluted to do do something simple so we don't
have to use something new."

Other than "it's different", "ant works fine" and "I hate maven", I
have heard nothing that resembles a reason to not use maven.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Slava Imeshev <vi...@viewtier.com>.

Re: Maven for Build?

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.