Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Georgios Pallas <gp...@ccf.auth.gr> on 2007/04/18 20:12:18 UTC

[users@httpd] problem with handler after upgrade from apache to apache2

Hi to everybody!

The following unwanted feature(?) appeared after I upgraded from
apache to apache2:

In Apache, I had in the configuration the following lines, in order to
create picture thumbnails on-the-fly:

Action thumbnail /cgi-bin/resize.cgi
AddHandler thumbnail .jpgTN

The user hits the url of a jpg image, say: http://myserv/test.jpg and
gets the original image. If the user hits http://myserv/test.jpgTN,
the handler calls the resize.cgi which gets the 'test.jpgTN' (using
$ENV{"PATH_TRANSLATED"}), understands that the thumbnail of test.jpg
is needed, resizes test.jpg and throws it to the browser. Note:
test.jpgTN does not really exist on disk.

That worked in apache, but as soon as I upgraded to apache2, it
stopped working, and after some troubleshooting I realized that it
only works when test.jpgTN exists on the disk (even if it is a
zero-length file created by 'touch test.jpgTN'.

The error.log just prints that file blah-blah.jpgTN does not exist.
That means that the handler is not invoked...

Why? :-(

My set-up is: Debian Etch, Apache/2.2.3. If anybody has heard of that
feature(?)
  or imagines what is wrong, I can send the config files.

And a meta-question because I'm new to the list: how do you send a
config file? Simply paste? Can you send attachments to the list?

Thanks!
Giorgos

Re: [users@httpd] problem with handler after upgrade from apache to apache2

Posted by Giorgos Pallas <gp...@ccf.auth.gr>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 4/18/07, Georgios Pallas <gp...@ccf.auth.gr> wrote:
>
>> That worked in apache, but as soon as I upgraded to apache2, it
>> stopped working, and after some troubleshooting I realized that it
>> only works when test.jpgTN exists on the disk (even if it is a
>> zero-length file created by 'touch test.jpgTN'.
>

> Check the docs
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_actions.html#action
> with special attention to the "virtual" option.
>
> Joshua.

Ouch, and imagine that I went through the Action and AddHandler sections...

Thank you my friend, and sorry for not having RTFM properly...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.