Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Daniel Serodio <ds...@pucsp.br> on 2006/03/29 19:06:59 UTC

What about nlog4j?

I recently discovered nlog4j, and it seems like a "better log4j"
(specifically, avoiding "logger.isXxxEnabled()" everywhere). But the
latest nlog4j release is 1.2.24, which "can be considered as a drop-in
replacement for log4j version 1.2.9.".

There's very little documentation about nlog4j. Is it still being
developed? Will there be a new release based on log4j 1.2.13 ?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Serodio

Re: What about nlog4j?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <li...@qos.ch>.
At 07:06 PM 3/29/2006, Daniel Serodio wrote:
>I recently discovered nlog4j, and it seems like a "better log4j"
>(specifically, avoiding "logger.isXxxEnabled()" everywhere). But the
>latest nlog4j release is 1.2.24, which "can be considered as a drop-in
>replacement for log4j version 1.2.9.".

NLOG4J is basically an experiment to demonstrate that the SLF4J API can be
natively implemented by log4j.    If you are keen to avoid isXXXEnabled
calls, you can get SLF4J support by using the log4j binding for SLF4J which
ships with the SLF4J distribution. Thus, calling NLOG4J a better
implementation of log4j is probably not true.

>There's very little documentation about nlog4j. Is it still being
>developed? Will there be a new release based on log4j 1.2.13 ?

There will be no NLOG4J releases based on log4j 1.2.13. However, you can
expect new NLOG4J releases which synchronize with changes in SLF4J.

As mentioned on NLOG4J's web-page, all new development effort in NLOG4J is
now redirected into LOGBack, a successor for log4j and NLOG4J.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/