Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/21 17:20:16 UTC

OT? @author tags in Java source

What is the policy on using individual @author tags in Java source files?

Is there a standard policy, or is it up to PMCs?

I can't see the point of them myself, as the tags don't seem to be
kept uptodate, and anyway, if they were accurate, some files would
have rather a lot...
Furthermore, the ASF is about community, not individuals.

If individual credits are to be given, seems to me the place for these
is in the changes list and/or in the contributors section on the
website.

S///

Re: OT? @author tags in Java source

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/06/2008, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > What is the policy on using individual @author tags in Java source files?
>

> Per http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_09_22.txt
>
>  "Recommend strongly that @author is avoided; but leave it to each PMC
>  to make the final call with their respective communities"

That's very clear, but not exactly easy to find...

Maybe there should be an ASF Policy and Recommendations page where
such things could be documented?

There are other such policy issues (placement and content of N&L files).

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the policy on using individual @author tags in Java source files?

Per http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_09_22.txt

"Recommend strongly that @author is avoided; but leave it to each PMC
to make the final call with their respective communities"

> Is there a standard policy, or is it up to PMCs?
>
> I can't see the point of them myself, as the tags don't seem to be
> kept uptodate, and anyway, if they were accurate, some files would
> have rather a lot...
> Furthermore, the ASF is about community, not individuals.

+1

> If individual credits are to be given, seems to me the place for these
> is in the changes list and/or in the contributors section on the
> website.

-0

> S///

- Sam Ruby

Re: OT? @author tags in Java source

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
I love how once you have someone setting policies, they get to
requested to set all policies :)

Afaik the policy is:  "We frown on them, but up to the PMCs".

Hen