Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nicholas Marion <nm...@us.ibm.com> on 2018/10/29 15:45:10 UTC

Spark Worker Questions

Hello,

Hope this is the right place for these kind of questions:

Deep diving into Spark Worker and spawning of executors. We notice upon
killing the worker through a, ./sbin/stop-slave.sh; that the driver
continues to request executors over and over again until the Worker is
actually taken down. This is because there is an executor that is being
terminated in the process. We were hoping to possibly indicate to the
master that the worker was coming down and not to try to spawn new
executors, even us the available: WorkerState.DECOMMISSIONED, that doesn't
seem to ever be used.

The questions are:
Was there an original intention for WorkerState.DECOMMISSIONED that either
was removed or never used?

Do you know the code-path that occurs when a Worker is killed through
stop-slave.sh? We thought it may be onStop, but that seems to be only used
for tests? I thought was to add a messageToMaster from the Worker to say:
I'm DECOMMISSIONED, do not schedule executors against me.

Note:
We only have 1 master, 1 slave.

 Regards,

 NICHOLAS T. MARION
 IBM Open Data Analytics for z/OS Service Team Lead

 Phone: 1-845-433-5010 | Tie-Line: 293-5010                                      IBM
 E-mail: nmarion@us.ibm.com
 Find me on: LinkedIn:                                                 2455 South Rd
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasmarion          Poughkeepie, New York 12601-5400

                                                                       United States

 IBM Redbooks Silver Author
 Data Science Foundations - Level 1