Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by stevecam <st...@geometryit.com> on 2008/02/27 06:43:54 UTC

sendmailtransformer problem

Hello,

I am trying to make use of the sendmailtransformer to send an email 'site
feedback' message to the site manager.

I'm copying the documentation but get the message rejected by the SMTP
server. This seems to be a configuration issue on the SMTP server, however
if I try to send a message by telneting to the SMTP server (port 25) from
the same machine as Cocoon I have no problem when using the same emailTo
address as seems to be invalid from Cocoon.

I'm just hopeing that someone else may have seen this problem before.

I need to use the sendmailtransformer to be able to extract the message and
senders return email address from a page request and get it into the email
message.

The cocoon log file shows the following:

13511362 2008-02-27 16:21:24,213 [http-8082-Processor23] ERROR
sitemap.sendMail():527  - Exception during sending of mail
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses
(com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
xxxxx@geometryit.com
)
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1294)
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:635)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.mail.transformation.SendMailTransformer.sendMail(SendMailTransformer.java:525)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.mail.transformation.SendMailTransformer.sendMail(SendMailTransformer.java:491)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.mail.transformation.SendMailTransformer.endTransformingElement(SendMailTransformer.java:396)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.AbstractSAXTransformer.endElement(AbstractSAXTransformer.java:482)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLTeePipe.endElement(XMLTeePipe.java:93)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLByteStreamInterpreter.parse(XMLByteStreamInterpreter.java:100)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLByteStreamInterpreter.deserialize(XMLByteStreamInterpreter.java:73)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.processXMLPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:365)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:481)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(SerializeNode.java:121)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:47)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MatchNode.invoke(MatchNode.java:108)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:69)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(PipelineNode.java:143)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:69)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(PipelinesNode.java:93)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ConcreteTreeProcessor.process(ConcreteTreeProcessor.java:235)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ConcreteTreeProcessor.process(ConcreteTreeProcessor.java:177)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:253)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MountNode.invoke(MountNode.java:118)
[...]
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ActTypeNode.invoke(ActTypeNode.java:139)
[...]
	at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:1154)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Re: sendmailtransformer problem

Posted by Andy Stevens <in...@googlemail.com>.
stevecam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to make use of the sendmailtransformer to send an email 'site
> feedback' message to the site manager.
>
> I'm copying the documentation but get the message rejected by the SMTP
> server. This seems to be a configuration issue on the SMTP server, however
> if I try to send a message by telneting to the SMTP server (port 25) from
> the same machine as Cocoon I have no problem when using the same emailTo
> address as seems to be invalid from Cocoon.

What about the From address?

> I'm just hopeing that someone else may have seen this problem before.
>
> I need to use the sendmailtransformer to be able to extract the message and
> senders return email address from a page request and get it into the email
> message.

So are you sending the mail "From" the supplied address, or from one
that you control (and including the user-supplied one in the message
body somewhere)?  Are the SMTP envelope addresses the same as the
corresponding header lines in the email you're sending?

> The cocoon log file shows the following:
>
> 13511362 2008-02-27 16:21:24,213 [http-8082-Processor23] ERROR
> sitemap.sendMail():527  - Exception during sending of mail
> javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses
> (com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
> xxxxx@geometryit.com
> )
 > 	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1294)

Anti-relaying.  Basically, the mail server is seeing an email destined
for a domain (geometryit.com) that it doesn't believe it handles, so it
rejects it.  Generally this is a good thing, as open relays get abused
by spammers and blacklisted by anti-spam sites :-)  What mail server are
you running locally?  What domains have you configured it to think are
"local"?

One other consideration - where exactly are you specifying the mail host
in your Cocoon configuration?  cocoon.xconf, component configuration, or
as a parameter to the transformer?
You didn't specify exactly which version of Cocoon you're using, but I
know that some have a bug in the mail sending components, such that it
may not be picking up the value from the place you expect (can't
remember the details, it might have been something like the
component-specific value was ignored and it always used the cocoon.xconf
default instead).  If you don't have the same host specified in each of
these places, maybe it's not actually connecting to the host you're
expecting and that's why testing with telnet worked and this doesn't?

Andy.
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku app