Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ajaya Agrawal <aj...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/30 08:10:12 UTC

Problem while migrating a single node cluster from 2.1 to 3.2

Hi,

I am a newbie when it comes to Cassandra administration and operation. We
have a single node cluster running 2.1 in EC2 and we are planning to move
it to better single machine instance and want to run 3.2 on that.

I installed 3.2 on the new machine and created a snapshot of the old
cluster and then copied over all the relevant directories to the new
machine in the appropriate directory. Specifically I copied
"/var/lib/cassandra/data/{keyspace} from old machine to the new machine.
Before that I created relevant schema in the new cluster. I was hoping that
Cassandra would see new directories and load up the new copied SSTables
automatically. At the least I was hoping to see the snapshot created in the
old cluster, when I did a "nodetool listsnapshots" in the new cluster.

I have also changed the name of the new cluster.

Please help me and let me know if I forgot to add any detail.

Cheers,
Ajaya

Re: Problem while migrating a single node cluster from 2.1 to 3.2

Posted by Ajaya Agrawal <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathon,

I created the schema manually. I took the schema definition from the old
cluster using "desc {keyspace_name}" and then ran those cql statements in
the new cluster. I didn't do anything with the system keyspaces.

Cheers,
Ajaya

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.