Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Hoofe <ko...@hoofe.de> on 2003/03/18 09:59:39 UTC

svg2jpeg output not equal on different machines

I'm using the svg2jpeg Serializer to generate menu entries.

The svg text tag looks like this

<text font-family="Arial Narrow" font-size="15" font-style="italic" font-
weight="normal" fill="blue" x="14" y="15"><label/></text>

This is based on /svg/label.xml from the older documentation generation.

My problem is that the generated jpeg are not same on different machines. The
generated font under Linux is greater than 14 points. I tried this with Cocoon
2.0.4 under j2sdk1.3.1 and j2sdk1.4.1.

Win98, Sun j2sdk1.3.1 and j2sdk1.4.1
Suse 7.2, Blackdown j2sdk1.3.1 and j2sdk1.4.1

Thank's for Your Help

Re: svg2jpeg output not equal on different machines

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@internuscorp.com>.
On Tuesday 18 March 2003 16:59, Christian Hoofe wrote:
> I'm using the svg2jpeg Serializer to generate menu entries.
>
> The svg text tag looks like this
>
> <text font-family="Arial Narrow" font-size="15" font-style="italic" font-
> weight="normal" fill="blue" x="14" y="15"><label/></text>

Probably because you don't have "Arial Narrow" installed on the Linux machine
(welcome to font-hell, as in Hellvetica ;o) ), so X will substitute according
to a ruleset (which you can specify), and often doesn't do a good job.
And even if you have Arial Narrow, you still won't get exactly the same
result.

In this context, I would like to mention that specify font size in 'points'
(pt) is a bit odd, as the server hardly knows what kind of display its output
is going to... Fontsize in pixel would be more appropriate.

In your case, how does X vs Windows derive how many points/pixel? I don't
know, but I think the answer could be related to your problems.

Niclas

RE: svg2jpeg output not equal on different machines

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
Christian Hoofe wrote:

> My problem is that the generated jpeg are not same on
> different machines. The
> generated font under Linux is greater than 14 points. I tried
> this with Cocoon
> 2.0.4 under j2sdk1.3.1 and j2sdk1.4.1.
>
> Win98, Sun j2sdk1.3.1 and j2sdk1.4.1
> Suse 7.2, Blackdown j2sdk1.3.1 and j2sdk1.4.1

Under JDK 1.4 there is a "headless" mode in which the dependencies on the
operating system are minimised. For instance, in this mode you can run Batik
without an X server at all. Have you tried this mode?

Cheers

Con