Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Vladislav Galas <ga...@apache.org> on 2019/01/06 19:10:34 UTC

Cannot clone repo with git svn

Hello devs,
I've beeh struggling to use git svn but after several days of failing I ask for help.
I have authors.txt downloaded.

So I say: git svn clone https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi -s --no-metadata -A authors.txt ./gitsvnpoi
Well, it spawns a seemingly single-threaded perl process... and that's it. It hasn't completed overnight.

I also tried to clone from a local svn working copy but git svn wouldn't allow it.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: Cannot clone repo with git svn

Posted by Vladislav Galas <ga...@apache.org>.
Thanks Dominik

Looks like it was some kind of a Windows problem. Even --revision {HEAD-1}:HEAD didn't complete.

Then I started the built-in Ubuntu, and everythong worked like a charm.

Thanks again.

Re: Cannot clone repo with git svn

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Have you tried fetching less history, as described at
http://poi.apache.org/devel/subversion.html

----------------

            git svn clone https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk
poisvngit --revision 1732982
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1732982>:HEAD

Running without --revision from:HEAD will run for a long time and will
retrieve the full version history of the Subversion repository. If you need
more repository history, change the from revision to an earlier release
<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/poi/tags/> or omit the --revision specifier
altogether.

Dominik.