Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by "Bates, Alex" <AB...@teradata-ncr.com> on 2003/05/28 21:54:50 UTC

OJB + commercial JDO ?

Has anyone used OJB with a commercial JDO implementation?  (esp. Solar
Metric?)  If so, could you give an idea of the work required to integrate
the two?

thanks,

Alex

Re: OJB + commercial JDO ?

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi again Alex,

Alex Bates wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  My question actually stemmed from some others working
> on the project, who wanted to make sure our solution could integrate if a
> given client had already purchased a commercial JDO implementation.

I see, so its more a question like "can we replace a commercial JDO
implementation with OJB/JDO without problems?", right?

> If we had to do this, I wanted to shield applications sitting on top of OJB
> from the underlying implementation.

That's one of the reasons why we provide standard APIs like JDO and ODMG.
I know of several projects that wrote code against the ODMG API and were
thus able to swap in the ODMG implementation of choice. Either a
commercial one or OJB.
Of course there are alway minor differences between the implementations
(e.g. handling of primary and foreign keys, handling of mapping data).
But in general it should work without major headaches.

In my company we developed a very simple API for object level
transactions + a abstract syntax tree query language (stolen from the
OJB query language ;-)).
The API consists of a handful of simple interfaces and for each
persistence layer we just have to write a few wrapper classes to
implement those interfaces.
Using such a thin interface layer we are able to provide our customer
with their persistence layer of choice, be it TopLink, OJB or JDO
implementations.

> Personally, I like OJB's APIs and mapping files better than those put out by
> the JDO spec.  ESPECIALLY your query APIs, I don't want to write any *QL.
> Well, I'm happy to write SQL, but not OQL, JDOQL, or EJBQL.
>
> However, the real need was to be able to integrate with a distributed cache
> like Tangosol.  So I was happy to see Jason McKerr's recent email/blog about
> integrating OJB + Tangosol!

One of OJB's strengths is the plugin concept. Most of the crucial
components (e.g. cache, sql generator, connection pool, etc.) can be
replaced by your own implementations.
We are always willing to integrate plugins that could be useful for many
users into the code base. We already have a JCS cache plugin. We are
also willing to integrate a Tangosol plugin if some contributes the code!

cheers,
Thomas

RE: OJB + commercial JDO ?

Re: OJB + commercial JDO ?