Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Praveen Sripati <pr...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/29 15:41:21 UTC

0.22 Release and Security

Hi,

The release notes for 0.22 (
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html#10+December%2C+2011%3A+release+0.22.0+available)
it says

>The following features are not supported in Hadoop 0.22.0.

    >Security.
    >Latest optimizations of the MapReduce framework introduced in the
Hadoop 0.20.security line of releases.
    >Disk-fail-in-place.
    >JMX-based metrics v2.

By Security missing, what all features are missing? Does it mean Kerberos
integration is missing?

In o.a.h.hdfs.server.datanode.SecureDataNodeStarter.java, the following
code is there

    if(!conf.get(HADOOP_SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION).equals("kerberos"))
      throw new RuntimeException("Cannot start secure datanode in unsecure
cluster");

Regards,
Praveen

Re: 0.22 Release and Security

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.
1) My guess is that was included in one of the patches ported to the
0.22 branch.

2) You're correct, you need to limit access to the cluster via a
gateway. This isn't really sufficient as the code in your MapReduce
job will run as the mapred user and have access to anything it can
see.

If you care about security, I'd stick with CDH3, 0.20.20x/1.0.0 or
0.23, with 0.23 being the least stable of the bunch.

-Joey

--
Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.