Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by lee carroll <le...@googlemail.com> on 2011/06/28 20:53:00 UTC

moving to multicore without changing existing index

hi
I'm looking at setting up multi core indices but also have an exiting
index. Can I run
this index along side new index set up as cores. On a dev  machine
I've experimented with
simply adding solr.xml in slor home and listing the new cores in the
cores element but this breaks the existing

container is tomcat and attempted set up was:

solrHome
---- conf (existing running index)
---- core1 (new core directory)
---- solr.xml (cores element has one entry for core1)

Is this a valid approach ?

thanks lee

Re: moving to multicore without changing existing index

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
"But a multi-core setup is a multi-core setup, there's no way to have an
index accessible at a non-core URL in a multi-core setup."

Isn't there? What about "defaultCoreName" parameter? from the wiki: "The
name of a core that will be used for requests that don't specify a core. If
you have one core and want to use the features specified on this page, then
this provides a way to keep your URLs the same."

You will need to set up the directory structure for that core, something
like:

solrHome
---- originalCore (new core directory)
--------  conf (existing running index)
---- core1 (new core directory)
-------- conf (new configuration)
---- solr.xml (declare both cores, and set "originalCore" as defaultCoreName
)

Haven't tried it, but I think it should work.
See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#solr

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.