Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Stephens <ch...@dingoblue.com.au> on 2002/05/06 09:14:34 UTC

URL rewriting

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is a newbie question but I've looked around a fair bit
(inc. the archives of this list) and can't find an answer.

I want my users to enter in URLs like
http://www.domain.com/products/zips and for this URL to be a"front" for
a completely unrelated URL (e.g. /webappname/do/showall?id=zips [I'm
using Struts btw for my current project but I'd like to achieve the
rewrite outside of Struts]).

Where is the best place to do this URL rewriting? It needs to be a
"forward" rather than a "redirect" (I don't want the actual URL showing
in the browser).

Should I use 2.3 filters? Or is there a better way? Is there something
already written to do this?

TIA,

Chris

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and
privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
parties to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in
error please forward it to postmaster@dingoblue.com.au and delete all
copies of this message immediately. Thank you.

Re: URL rewriting

Posted by Jeffrey Bonevich <bo...@telocity.com>.
You can use mod_rewrite and mod_proxy to do just this (at least if you
are using apache).  See http://www.engelschall.com/pw/apache/rewriteguide/

jeff

Chris Stephens wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies if this is a newbie question but I've looked around a fair bit
> (inc. the archives of this list) and can't find an answer.
>
> I want my users to enter in URLs like
> http://www.domain.com/products/zips and for this URL to be a"front" for
> a completely unrelated URL (e.g. /webappname/do/showall?id=zips [I'm
> using Struts btw for my current project but I'd like to achieve the
> rewrite outside of Struts]).
>
> Where is the best place to do this URL rewriting? It needs to be a
> "forward" rather than a "redirect" (I don't want the actual URL showing
> in the browser).
>
> Should I use 2.3 filters? Or is there a better way? Is there something
> already written to do this?
>
> TIA,
>
> Chris

> This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and
> privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
> parties to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in
> error please forward it to postmaster@dingoblue.com.au and delete all
> copies of this message immediately. Thank you.

Jeffrey Bonevich
Ann Arbor, Michigan
bonevich@telocity.com
http://www.bonevich.com

Hwæt! Wë Gär-Dena   in geär-dagum,
peod-cyninga,       prym gefrünon,
hü ða aepelingas   ellen fremedon!

Starting How to..Use jsp in tomcat

Posted by puneet sachar <pu...@yahoo.com>.
hi friends

Listen ..
what if i want to change the default directory..i mean
i don't want to keep my html and servlets in the
default folder.../webapps/and..all...stuff

A different folder say d: drive for application 1 and
e:..application 2

or if not possible in same tomcat ..3 folders showing
3 different sun directories for different application

i want to keep all this in seperate folder so that
with same tomcat i may have 3 different application
ruuning just by changing the port no. the pointer
itself redirect to different folder...as u can see ur
self in tomcat there they have 3 different application
and different folders for them..

also do tell me what to do if i want to make ..jsp
running ..in tomcat