Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@Apache.Org> on 1998/08/31 16:50:00 UTC

Re: general/2906: Propose that Apache recommend $UNIQUE_ID for al l "session id" algorithms

The following reply was made to PR general/2906; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@Apache.Org>
To: apbugs@Apache.Org
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/2906: Propose that Apache recommend $UNIQUE_ID for al l
 "session id" algorithms
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:45:32 -0400

 Dietz, Phil E. wrote:

 >  Let me also propose to the Apache group that:
 >  - mod_unique_id become a standard core module
 >  - that at least the time value be 'decodable' (like Mr. Gaudet
 >    recommends.)

 Another problem with this is that UNIQUE_ID is unique
 to the *request*, not to the 'session.'  If you have a page
 with several images on it, each will be fetched using a
 different request, and each such request will get a different
 UNIQUE_ID value.  You *are* proposing that UNIQUE_ID be used
 as a key to maintain state across several requests, right?
 Or have I misunderstood?

 #ken	P-)}