Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marcus Schießer <ma...@web.de> on 2004/01/10 17:44:27 UTC

versatile container for software components

hi folks,

i wrote a versatile container for software components that could be
embedded in different frameworks. i am using this right now as a
container for web components (container embedded in a servlet engine). i
would like to donate the container to the apache project, hopefully
someone is interessted. as far as i can see, there is not yet such a
project at apache.
for more information consult the web site under: www.unc.de/webzap.html.
there is also a paper available which explains the technology of the
container.
don't hesitate to contact me for any comments. any help is appreciated,
really ;)

have fun,

marcus schiesser

RE: versatile container for software components

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Marcus Schießer wrote:
> i think you misunderstood me a bit.  I intend to donate the container,
> not the web framework that is Using the container.

How do we reconcile that intention with your other e-mail
(http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.
apache.org&msgNo=5942), where you said: "just released webzap 0.2 - a
web-portal engine for J2EE. Maybe it's a good idea to integrate it into your
project."  What is the difference between the web-portal engine and the web
framework?

> Leo Simons wrote:
> > I took a look, and I believe we have in fact several projects in the
> > same problem space. Struts, cocoon, turbine, avalon (avalon-fortress
> > + excalibur-event in particular), hivemind, jetspeed (!), and others

I like the simplicity of
http://www.unc.de/downloads/webzap_paper_preview.pdf, but Leo is pointing
out that we have other container projects.  HiveMind, Avalon and Geronimo
all provide application domain agnostic container models, albeit differently
from each other.  Leo, himself, is working on a simple container at
www.jicarilla.org.  His suggestion is that you try to find how your project
might fit collaboratively with one or more of our other efforts.

	--- Noel

AW: versatile container for software components

Posted by Marcus Schießer <ma...@web.de>.
Hi leo,

Thanks for your reply. Oh, i think you misunderstood me a bit.
I intend to donate the container, not the web framework that is
Using the container. The container is versatile and could be used
For plenty of applications. For example to let the end-user configure
and rearrange
Objects of an application (not necessarily user interface components) or
It could be embedded in a swing framework - use it whenever you need to
connect
Components - lets see it more as a different approach in the same topic
as a glue language..
So as there are plenty of uses, i thought it's a good idea to donate it
to you..
Sorry, for me being so misunderstanding, i think to reason is that so
far the container
Is part of the web framework i developed...

Thanks,

Marcus

> i wrote a versatile container for software components that could be
> embedded in different frameworks. i am using this right now as a
> container for web components (container embedded in a servlet engine).

> i would like to donate the container to the apache project, hopefully
> someone is interessted. as far as i can see, there is not yet such a
> project at apache.

I took a look, and I believe we have in fact several projects in the
same problem space. Struts, cocoon, turbine, avalon (avalon-fortress +
excalibur-event in particular), hivemind, jetspeed (!), and
others...they all are used to fill similar roles.

It might be a good idea for you to review these projects and investigate

possible co-operation with one or more of these.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: versatile container for software components

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus,